PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I Just love all those updates

A-Jay
March 10th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I am a newbie to this Ubuntu 10.4 . I have seen some many updates in my life is this the first month for this system! Anyway I am running a pretty old HP 764n 8+ years old computer, that last couple of groups of updates only seem to have disabled things like my cheapo dongle wireless adapter the update a couple of weeks ago, now running on a cat-5 cable to the modem. The latest updates (yesterday now my video playback is either very choppy or things won't play at all. Any advice from you seasoned vets would be great. I think maybe I should stay on the main road (Mac or the other guy ) Thanks for any advice. A-Jay

winh8r
March 10th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Click on the "Help with Flash" link in my sig below and install Flash Aid and run the wizard to correctly configure your flash plugins specifically for your set up.

Changing from any OS to another has its challenges, all it takes is a little perseverance and the willingness to accept that you might need to learn to do things a little differently than you have been used to.

You can search the forum using the search function or ask any questions you may have. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Good Luck

grahammechanical
March 10th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Ubuntu ISO images are snapshots of the release taken (made) at particular points in time. What you downloaded and installed from was an ISO image that was mastered in July 21 last year.

The Ubuntu team is proud to announce the release of Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS, the third maintenance update to Ubuntu's 10.04 LTS release. This release includes updated server, desktop, alternate installation CDs and DVDs for the i386 and amd64 architectures.
This is the third maintenance release of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, which continues to be supported with maintenance updates and security fixes until April 2013 on desktops and April 2015 on servers.Those updates have now brought your OS up to date.

Regards.

A-Jay
March 12th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply's, I ran the Flash-Aid and the videos are running well now. But I have noticed that once or twice after getting on line each time, after opening a page that the screen goes black for 1 or 2 seconds then runs fine from then on. Did I miss something ?
As far as updates go, this reminds me of the great updates for our company cell phones there is always an update coming down the pipe, after you get it You wish you never downloaded it. If it ain't broke don't fix it my Grand Dad always said! Thanks again. A-Jay

Guilden_NL
March 12th, 2012, 06:01 AM
First, with the hardware that you're using, I would suggest the Lubuntu distro which will run faster than Ubuntu due to less resource requirements.

Second, your concern about updates to Linux is misplaced, especially when you compare it to Windows and Mac. Your HP will require Windows, and the number of updates and more importantly, size of those updates is more frequent and larger than Linux. Mac has less updates, but that isn't a good thing when it's the first OS to be hacked every year in the pwn2own security challenge.

Many of these updates, regardless of OS are due to improved security and Linux leads all three OSes in staying ahead of security threats. Very seldom (I never say "never") do these security updates cause problems with device functionality. I have an 8 yr old Toshiba running Lubuntu and even with the latest kernel updates, everything still works. However, it is possible that support for your WiFi was dropped out of the kernel update. That can be corrected a few different ways, unlike when Windows or Mac leaves your HW behind.

So the best thing to do is list your non-working hardware here. There are plenty of folks willing and able to help you get it all working.