PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Which OS?

rima
March 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Ok, instead of having 3827263 little seperate threads, I'll have one big main one XD
I have no idea which OS to use. Still.
XP is a little boring, it functions properly (well, except for sound, there's no sound driver in it, so it sucks a little) without any problems. But is still...yeah, too boring.
So I wanna try another (Linux) distro. I don't have any specific requirements or limitations, all I do is surf the Net and occassional graphics (I'm not a Photoshop lover but it MUST have GIMP). That's it, really.

Oh yeah, I had [mixed/good] experiences with Ubuntu 11.10. It was using A LOT (and I mean A LOT) of my system resources. But it looked and functioned good. (Am I the only person in the world to actually LIKE Unity?! XD)

Oh, and I want the install to be real smooth, you know. I'm not a massive computer techie or something.

Will some Linux distro pull off with...

Computer
Windows XP SP3
LG PC
Intel Atom
0,99 GB of RAM
800 MHz
CPU N270

codemaniac
March 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Cosidering your memory and Atom processor , a light weight Ubuntu might have been the best bet .Try Xubuntu or Lubuntu .

synaptix
March 10th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Definitely recommend Lubuntu, it's a really nice light weight Ubuntu. :)

http://lubuntu.net/

Dennisgre
March 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I also agree with Codemaniac try Lubuntu

Script Warlock
March 10th, 2012, 05:21 PM
xubuntu or lubuntu is nice too if you prefer to use unity then go for ubuntu 12.04 if ever you find it heavy for your system you still have unity 2d.

audiomick
March 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I've got Ubuntu 10.04 UNR running on a Lenovo Netbook with about those specs. It runs well for the Internet most of the time. I think I have Gimp on there.

I am unsure, however, if I will use a Unity version on there when the time comes. I'll have to try it from a USB stick and see how it runs. I don't mind Unity at all; I'm just unsure if the machine will run it well.

What is the alternative? Lubuntu, probably...

cmcanulty
March 10th, 2012, 06:24 PM
everyone says xubuntu is lighter but the latest reviews don't bear that out try lubuntu

Wild Man
March 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
+1 for lubuntu.

Marzata
March 10th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Xubuntu (better environment) or Lubuntu (a lighter one).

theducksfan2010
March 10th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Lubuntu 11.10 runs great!

rima
March 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Thank you for your recommendations :D I think I'll try Lubuntu

P.S Can you install Lubuntu via Wubi? Just to try it out for a while or so.

presence1960
March 11th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Definitely Lubuntu. I tried xubuntu and found for a spec lacking machine it is not light enough.

As far as the reasons to use an OS there are basically only two real reasons to choose an OS:

1. Will it run well on my machine?

2. Will I be able to use software that will allow me to do well what functions I need to accomplish?

If an OS fulfills those basic needs then everything else becomes moot. As far as boring goes, if you want bells and whistles effects step up to a machine with higher specs. Then your choices of an OS increase exponentially. Until then you are very limited due to your hardware.

Marzata
March 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM
and found for a spec lacking machine it is not light enough.

This is very subjective. For 20 MB less RAM you will be missing a proper desktop environment as one in Xubuntu and you will be running an amateurish one as one in Lubuntu.

Wild Man
March 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Your welcome! please use thread tools at the top of the page to mark the thread solved.
Thanks

presence1960
March 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
This is very subjective. For 20 MB less RAM you will be missing a proper desktop environment as one in Xubuntu and you will be running an amateurish one as one in Lubuntu.

Of course it is going to be subjective because that was my experience. I can only report first hand knowledge or experience. If I report experience of others I always post a link to view since it is not my personal experience.

The nature of any forum leads to very subjective communication and interaction.

Amateurish desktop? That is part of the problem in all OS communities. They all think their choice is superior to others. If an amateurish desktop as you put it helps a person achieve an OS that will run well on their machine and allow them to run software they need to run to accomplish their tasks who is anyone to label that amateurish unless they like to feel superior to others. I love Ubuntu, sabayon and mint however I don't degrade others who have chosen to run something else. That is one of the things that comes with choice. Respect others right to choose as you want your right to choose. That rule does not apply only to OS, it is a good rule for life also

2F4U
March 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM

This is obviously an unjustified and childish bias.

Wild Man
March 11th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Hi, please stay on topic and be nice.
Thanks

rima
March 11th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I know I'll sound stupid...but how do you install it and from where? XD

roger_1960
March 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Hi

lubuntu.net

rima
March 11th, 2012, 09:58 PM

Guilden_NL
March 12th, 2012, 06:10 AM
+100 for Lubuntu. I converted all laptops and desktops in our home to Lubuntu. I've run Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome 2.x & 3.x and Unity, Xubuntu and a few other distros based on Ubuntu like Mint, also Fedora and SUSE.

I even have Lubuntu on a desktop with 96Gb of RAM and 24 cores (got it as a bonus from work) because I like fast fast fast and don't care for spinning cubes etc after the first day or two of "gee whiz"

I even have it running on an 8 yr old Toshiba Laptop and it works perfectly.

The LXDE desktop is very much like Windows - it's perfect to get a lot of work done quickly, but it doesn't offer video wallpaper and the like.

Marzata
March 12th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I know I'll sound stupid...but how do you install it and from where? XD

http://xubuntu.org/

theducksfan2010
March 12th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Lubunt 11.10 is phenomenal and great at bringing an old system back to life with all of the software and programs a modern computer user needs, just minus the bells and whistles. I have it running on 2 machines and boot-able off of a thumb drive to take wherever I go.

rima
March 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Do you think I should just wait for 12.04 since it's coming out soon? :popcorn:
AND a couple of more questions.

1) How do you prepare your USB stick for booting an iso image? Do you clear off EVERYTHING off of your usb stick?

2) My laptop/netbook has no CD drive, therefore it is to assume it will boot off straight from the USB stick, without messing in the BIOS?

Thanks :) And sorry for asking so much questions, it's better to ask now than 50000 more when I mess something up :)

rima
March 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Oh, I see now, it's not an LTS unlike Ubuntu...hmm, I was expecting it to work until 2017 ;)

Can you get Firefox under Lubuntu? It seems as if only Chromium is supported :P and I do need some of the addons for FF...

Wild Man
March 14th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Hi, yes you can get firefox.

You will have to set your usb stick to boot in the bios if it is not already set that way.

Yes reformat the usb drive and use a linux format for the partition.
Thanks

Paqman
March 14th, 2012, 03:49 AM
1) How do you prepare your USB stick for booting an iso image? Do you clear off EVERYTHING off of your usb stick?

The Startup Disk Creator will prompt you to wipe the stick if there's insufficient space on it. So best to grab anything off it that you want to keep.

zombifier25
March 14th, 2012, 04:45 AM
If your USB has enough space, then you don't need to wipe it out.

rima
March 14th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Ah, that's good :p

I wondered, since I'm not confident messing with the BIOS...if there's a program that can change boot settings? Just wondering. I'll be only messing with BIOS if I really have to, I think

zombifier25
March 16th, 2012, 02:44 PM
On most BIOSes, you can boot from USB without any special configs. But for some (like mine) you need to config. Don't worry, the BIOS is not that scary to configure. If your computer don't boot from USB by default, you can post.

muteXe
March 16th, 2012, 02:57 PM
XP is a little boring, it functions properly (well, except for sound, there's no sound driver in it, so it sucks a little) without any problems. But is still...yeah, too boring.

What do you mean by boring? Your OS is only as boring as you want it to be in the way you use it. Doesn't matter if it's windows, linux or mac.