PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Remove 11.10 and reinstall

banksiaman
March 10th, 2012, 06:07 AM
New to ubuntu have installed 11.10 was ok for few days now mouse problem system runs ok but mouse keeps stopping intermittently.
I only have ubuntu on system and want to reinstall using the same CD.
Can anyone point to instructions on how to remove existing system so CD will do a reinstall.
I have nothing on the disc I need to keep .Thanks :D

critin
March 10th, 2012, 06:13 AM
New to ubuntu have installed 11.10 was ok for few days now mouse problem system runs ok but mouse keeps stopping intermittently.
I only have ubuntu on system and want to reinstall using the same CD.
Can anyone point to instructions on how to remove existing system so CD will do a reinstall.
I have nothing on the disc I need to keep .Thanks :D

Have you tried the mouse on another system to see if its okay there? Or another mouse on this system? Sounds like you may need a new one.

Are you running the older type ball mouse that needs cleaning periodically? Wired/wireless? Battery?

d4m1r
March 10th, 2012, 06:13 AM
How did you install 11.10 in the first place? If you have it on a CD or USB stick, boot from it, and wipe your EXT4 partition during the install or tell the installer to overwrite your existing Ubuntu partition during the new install.

There's nothing you need to do currently before booting the CD or USB though.

banksiaman
March 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks critin
no mouse is ok (I Think) Get this strange condition where it works ok for about 30 + sec then stops dead for 10 sec this repeats and makes it very trying to use.Its like the mouse has gone away and prgm is waiting for somthing to respond Its a wireless mouse will try it on my other computer (W7) but have never seen one do anything like this befor.Other than that all else seems to work ok

Thanks d4m1r
I used this disc a couple of days back to do first install.
after BIOS the disc runs and says "Crc error press any key to try again" I Try again computer screen puts up a promt and stays there and with no keyboard access.
So thought they must have some other way of reinstalling it :p

banksiaman
March 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Well I solved this problem sort of. I have a nivida video card for dual displays in this system.
IT seemed to work ok in that I had both displays going OK but with both displays on I get that strange effect with the mouse (stopping regularly for about 10sec).
I just unplugged the 2 nd monitor and now the mouse works ok I think there is a long learning curve to use this system . So I will leave it as one screen for the moment and learn a bit more .The 2nd screen is nice so you can read and try at the same time :D

edm1
March 10th, 2012, 02:19 PM
You'll be happy to hear that 12.04 which is released next month has fixed alot of problems people have been having with multiple monitors.

p.s. Mark the thread as solved under Thread Tools near the top of the page.

audiomick
March 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
after BIOS the disc runs and says "Crc error press any key to try again" I Try again computer screen puts up a promt and stays there and with no keyboard access.
This sounds a bit like the CD is no good. If you want to install again, I would suggest making a new one.

Download the .iso again and check the MD5 Sum
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

If you are making a CD, use a slow burning speed.

You might want to look into making a USB installer.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

I like to have at least one CD or USB around the place in case I need to boot into the live environment for something. That works a lot faster from USB. I believe the installer also runs faster from a USB, although I'm not sure of this. On top of that, once you are finished with it, you have a USB stick that you can re-use instead of a CD that is hard to dispose of rubbish.

banksiaman
March 15th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for your replies
I will try a new install dic but after looking around I see my problems arent unique looking forward to 12.04 cant wair :p