PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clear and instal

No sae daft
March 9th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I have an elderly laptop. 512 Mb Ram 30 Gb hard Drive Mobile Athlon 4 1.2 Ghz. Currently has Windows XP SP2. In perfect working order.

This post is coming from my other PC which will be replaced fairly soon.

What I want to do is to clear the hard drive on the laptop completely - remove everything. Then I want to instal Ubuntu plus Libre Office, Gimp and UFRaw. Nothing else. It will not be connected to the Internet - ever. Assuming success and a good experience my new PC will use Ubuntu.

My computer expertise is limited to switching off and on and putting programme discs in the drive. I can also write to CD/DVD.

How do I do this given my level of knowledge?

critin
March 9th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Download ubuntu and burn it to a CD or download unetbootin if using a flash drive, and create a live OS. (I prefer the flash drive) Boot up the laptop with it and let it install on entire disk. It will erase Windows and format for ubuntu.

It should be able to connect to internet for the purpose of updates. Even Libre Office updates occasionally.

Then I want to instal Ubuntu plus Libre Office, Gimp and UFRaw. Nothing else.

Ubuntu comes with these or variations. You will need internet to add other programs from the Software Center.

ixtok
March 10th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Your system does not meet the minimum recommended requirements for ubuntu 11.10, although it may work. Ubuntu likes more ram. Lubuntu may be a better option.

critin
March 10th, 2012, 01:23 AM
I've run it on 512 with no problems. If XP is running perfect, so should ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

"A good "rule of thumb" is that machines that could run XP, Vista, Windows 7 or x86 OS X will almost always be a lot faster with Ubuntu even if they are lower-spec than described"

grahammechanical
March 10th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Do not forget, you can use the Ubuntu software Centre to remove programs as well. You will not want any games, will you? To simplify installation we do not get any options on what we want installed. Everything deemed as part of the Ubuntu distribution is installed. But you can easily remove unwanted applications.

If this machine is never going to be connected to the Internet then not having security fixes is not much of a problem is it?

Not connecting to the Internet is a very secure way of using a computer.

Regards.

coldraven
March 10th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Just remember that when you have downloaded the install .iso file you need to select "Burn Image" in your disc burning application. It may also help if you burn it at a slowish speed, say 4x, to make sure you get a perfect copy.

No sae daft
March 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I downloaded the file to a finger drive. When I put it in the old PC and double clicked I was asked what program to use to open it. Eh?

Properties says it is an ISO file 695 Mb but I can't get any further.

What should I do next other than give up and stick with what I have that works?

critin
March 10th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I downloaded the file to a finger drive. When I put it in the old PC and double clicked I was asked what program to use to open it. Eh?

Double clicking won't make the flash drive boot. With the flash drive in position, restart the machine and choose the button for 'BOOT' that shows on the BIO page. It will be escape or a F number. If the bio page closes too fast to see it, restart again. The button must be pushed quickly. It will take you to a page to choose the drive you want to boot--choose flash, usb disk, or however it is worded in your machine.

critin
March 10th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I downloaded the file to a finger drive.[/B] When I put it in the old PC and double clicked I was asked what program to use to open it. Eh?

Did you use something like Unetbootin or Universal Installer to get it onto the usb drive?

No sae daft
March 10th, 2012, 10:00 PM
What has happened now is that I read further and saw that I had to download another program to read the ISO file. It also downloaded (without asking) another 3 programs including "I want that" and "Babylon". Fortunately a computer literate friend was visiting and he managed, with great difficulty, to remove the other programs. "Babylon" is apparently a very nasty piece of work.

His advice to me is to leave well alone. What I have is working and why do I want to change it? I can't really give a good reason for wanting to change - it seemed like a good idea at the time.

As he pointed out to me I can walk into a shop and buy a new PC, plug it in and it works. And if I want to add extra software as long as I can put a disc in a slot and follow the onscreen instructions no damage will be done.

So I won't be trying Ubuntu - too much trouble.

jfb112697
March 10th, 2012, 10:04 PM
i suggest following everyone elses instructions but with one difference scince ur pc is so old install lubuntu its very light weight and designed for this kinda thing

critin
March 10th, 2012, 10:54 PM
What has happened now is that I read further and saw that I had to download another program to read the ISO file. It also downloaded (without asking) another 3 programs including "I want that" and "Babylon". Fortunately a computer literate friend was visiting and he managed, with great difficulty, to remove the other programs. "Babylon" is apparently a very nasty piece of work.

His advice to me is to leave well alone. What I have is working and why do I want to change it? I can't really give a good reason for wanting to change - it seemed like a good idea at the time.

As he pointed out to me I can walk into a shop and buy a new PC, plug it in and it works. And if I want to add extra software as long as I can put a disc in a slot and follow the onscreen instructions no damage will be done.

So I won't be trying Ubuntu - too much trouble.

Apparently the iso wasn't downloaded from the official Ubuntu download page, or/and the program used for burning was malware riddled and not the suggested ones or/and user didn't understand the instructions. Ubuntu does NOT include anything except the os system. 'I want that'/ Babylon had to have been 'chosen' by the user from something else, NOT a linux install.

Aren't free choices great? :P

No sae daft
March 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM
No, it came from the Ubuntu site. After download there's a section "show me how" that advises downloading another program to open. When I clicked on it I was taken to a site that showed several choices. I clicked on the recommended one but it still downloaded the other programs. Why not try it and see?

critin
March 12th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Well then I'm sorry you got spammed. Is this where you downloaded? http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

I've never seen ads for other programs on the download page, even on 'show me how'. Only instructions. the word 'recommended' is shown only once and that's where you choose 32 or 64 bit; you click on it to install.

It really does not download anything except the iso. Perhaps you thought you were on the official site, it happens.

Guess I was disappointed that a new potential user gave up so easily. :( It's such a good system idea that I want everyone to enjoy it. But I realize everyone won't.