PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Beginners please be aware: Installaton from DVD problematic

Ramveng
March 9th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I am an absolute beginner. I was not successful in installing from DVD (I tried 10.04 LTS and 11.10). Instead as per guidance from this forum I created a bootable USB using Universal USB installer from the downloaded .iso image of Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot. Installing from USB was easy. This thread is intended to make beginners like me aware of the problem and suggest solution. Please refer to the following thread to know more.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1935954&highlight=clean+install

Create Bootable USB (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/#buttonhttp://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/#button)

lisati
March 9th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Which thread? The link you provided was for an expired search.

mastablasta
March 9th, 2012, 08:29 AM
it could be that your DVD drive failed to burn the data correctly.

anewguy
March 9th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Not to mention if you are actually trying to burn to a physical DVD it isn't going to work - as far as I know the normal images you download are CD iso images and won't work if you try to burn them to a DVD. I may be wrong, but then again, maybe not.....

EDIT: I think I stand corrected......I just searched the web on this and it appears it is possible. I thought the structure of a DVD was such that the structure of a CD wouldn't work on it.

Dave ;)

pootan
March 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I've burned and installed about 14 different Ubuntu variations over the past few weeks ranging from 10.04 to 12.04 and the only problem I had was when I used XFburn to burn one disc rather than my usual K3b. XFburn didn't have a verify function that I could find easily and the gamble didn't pay off.

haqking
March 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Not to mention if you are actually trying to burn to a physical DVD it isn't going to work - as far as I know the normal images you download are CD iso images and won't work if you try to burn them to a DVD. I may be wrong, but then again, maybe not.....

EDIT: I think I stand corrected......I just searched the web on this and it appears it is possible. I thought the structure of a DVD was such that the structure of a CD wouldn't work on it.

Dave ;)

you can burn a CD .iso onto a DVD it is just that it wastes space really.

Cheers

Ramveng
March 9th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Which thread? The link you provided was for an expired search.

sorry, Lisati, it was an error. I have corrected the same now. Please check.

Ghost_Mazal
March 9th, 2012, 01:12 PM
+1 Here. I have now and then burned to dvd when not having a cd close by. And never had an issue installing it.

not found
March 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM
There is no major issue installing Ubuntu from CD/DVD. I am not suggesting that OP didn't have a problem but extrapolating it to the point where it becomes a warning to all beginners is wrong.

In the rare instances that a certain combination of hardware / software / juxtaposition of the solar equinoxes align in a manner to make installing in one form difficult or impossible there are others i.e. the DVD doesn't work the USB may and visa-verse.

Ramveng
March 9th, 2012, 01:27 PM
it could be that your DVD drive failed to burn the data correctly.

No chance. Due to bandwidth problems in my internet connection, it was my friend who downloaded the .iso file of Ubuntu 11.10 and burnt a DVD for me. I used this .iso image to write DVDs in various ways as per instructions available elsewhere in this forum as well as online help site. I copied the .iso image to a windows partition from existing installation of Ubuntu 9.10 and burnt a DVD as per instructions in the following page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto. Then I tried burning a bootable DVD using Nero upon Windows XP. None worked. But I used the same .iso image to create bootable USB and it worked. Earlier another friend gave me Ubuntu 10.04 LTS in a DVD. It went as far as selecting language, not further. The option to check data integrity on that DVD returned NIl error.

Ghost_Mazal
March 9th, 2012, 01:31 PM
No chance. Due to bandwidth problems in my internet connection, it was my friend who downloaded the .iso file of Ubuntu 11.10 and burnt a DVD for me. I used this .iso image to write DVDs in various ways as per instructions available elsewhere in this forum as well as online help site. I copied the .iso image to a windows partition from existing installation of Ubuntu 9.10 and burnt a DVD as per instructions in the following page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto. Then I tried burning a bootable DVD using Nero upon Windows XP. None worked. But I used the same .iso image to create bootable USB and it worked. Earlier another friend gave me Ubuntu 10.04 LTS in a DVD. It went as far as selecting language, not further. The option to check data integrity on that DVD returned NIl error.

Personally I think it's your optical drive.
I have seen the same on a friend's laptop. But the same discs works 100% in all my other pc's

kurt18947
March 9th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Common advice when burning discs is to use the slowest possible speed. I use Brasero to burn CDs and DVD+RWs and can't recall a disc that burned and was verified not working. Well, some early DVD-ROMs had trouble with DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs.

anewguy
March 9th, 2012, 03:02 PM
you can burn a CD .iso onto a DVD it is just that it wastes space really.

Cheers

Yep - that's why I added the edit about 3 minutes after posting. I must have a big mouth - both my feet fit in it at the same time!! ;)

Hope things are going great!

Dave ;)

haqking
March 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Yep - that's why I added the edit about 3 minutes after posting. I must have a big mouth - both my feet fit in it at the same time!! ;)

Hope things are going great!

Dave ;)

yeah i saw your edit, i was just confirming for you as you said "i think"

yeah things are cool.

Cheers and beers

Erenith
March 9th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Common advice when burning discs is to use the slowest possible speed. I use Brasero to burn CDs and DVD+RWs and can't recall a disc that burned and was verified not working. Well, some early DVD-ROMs had trouble with DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs.

I am also relatively new to Ubuntu, but I was able to install everything through just burning it onto the CD. I always had troubles with formatting my usb and putting the .iso on that (There were never any problems with the .iso that I downloaded). I was never able to get it to actually boot from the usb even when I set the boot order to usb first. Its probably an issue with my laptop since I've tried this with multiple usb drives (I have a whole bunch of them) and none of them were successful. But I don't mind burning it on the CD. It may be slower than installing through the usb, but I don't mind. Its still faster than installing and booting any Windows operating system.