PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Icon on Desktop

iowa_wildcat
March 9th, 2012, 03:10 AM
I have an icon on my desktop that is labeled "Fuse". According to Properties it is (unknown type (application/octet-stream). Any idea how it got there? Can I eliminate it? Obviously, I am a newbie to Ubuntu. Please help!

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 04:45 AM
I have an icon on my desktop that is labeled "Fuse". According to Properties it is (unknown type (application/octet-stream). Any idea how it got there? Can I eliminate it? Obviously, I am a newbie to Ubuntu. Please help!

Such a file wouldn't appear on your desktop with a default Ubuntu installation, so it seems safe to say that it was put there (likely by someone using the computer).

Is there a filetype (such as .exe) associated with the file? If it says "application/octet-stream," it's likely to be a (Windows) application.

alphacrucis2
March 9th, 2012, 04:54 AM
fuse may refer to File system in USEr space. Fuse is used for setting up virtual file systems. I think encfs encryption uses fuse. No idea how the icon got on your desktop though.

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 05:01 AM
fuse may refer to File system in USEr space. Fuse is used for setting up virtual file systems. I think encfs encryption uses fuse. No idea how the icon got on your desktop though.
There's also an emulator called Fuse. It seems odd that the actual file would called "Fuse" though, as none of the constituent tools for the Fuse you're thinking of or the installer I found for the Fuse emulator actually have that filename (that I can find, anyways).

alphacrucis2
March 9th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Yeah it does seem odd.

critin
March 9th, 2012, 06:05 AM
It had to come from something installed or activated by a user. Click on it and see what pops up.
Googling "fuse" brought blogs, email, a linux apt of some kind, file helpers, etc.