PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] External sound output doesn't work on Lenovo thinkpad

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Hi everyone,

I just installed ubuntu 10.04 on my Lenovo thinkpadedge laptop, I had the 11.04 version before and just downgraded. Everything works fine beside the fact that headphones or external speakers don't work. I connect them and the sound keep coming out of the internal speakers.

I check with the alsa project and they give me this link:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=9b0f201536366d8e438ae3e9867562940d575a2b

I don't really understand it and don't know what I could or should do.

Thanks a lot for you help in advance!

Ben

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I've actually experienced a similar problem before.

Firstly, could you try opening a terminal and typing "alsamixer" and pressing enter, and seeing what it says for items such as "Headphone"? If it says "MM," that means that the device is muted (which presents a problem, because even if you unmute it it would likely still play from the internal speakers). If it doesn't appear at all, then there are other problems.

Thanks.

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Hi, thanks for replying so quick! I did Alsamixer and there are nothing about headphones, only pcm and master which have a colorful bar and S/PDIF defaut and 1 that have 00.

Do you have any idea waht it could be!?

Thanks a lot!

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Can you give me a more detailed model number for your laptop? That could help me identify what hardware you have and attempt to come up with a solution.

Thanks.

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 06:26 AM
HI, its a thinkpad edge 13"...Id on't really know how to find more info in ubuntu, I just runned Sysinfo and got some info:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU U 380 @ 1.33GHz
SOundcard:Intel corporation 5 series/3400 series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev06)
Subsystem:lenovo Device 21 c8

need anything else? thanks

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Try opening a terminal and typing: sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.conf/alsa-base.conf

Add (copy and paste) the following on a new line at the end: options snd-hda-intel model="olpc-xo-1_5"

Then, save and restart, and test the headphone jack.

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I put the first line and a blank document opens...is it meant to be blank?

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 06:53 AM
That's fine.

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I can't save the file, it says: Could not find the file /etc/modprobe.conf/alsa-base.conf.
Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Sorry I'm facepalming right now.

It should be: sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Great!!! It's working! That was amazing, thank you so much, you made my day!
Have a good one!

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 07:17 AM
It's no problem.

If you get a chance, could you mark the thread as solved under "Thread Tools" at the top of the page?

Thanks.

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Yes...and one other thing :) the internal mic is not working either with skype...any idea what it could be? Is it related?

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Try the same as above, but replace it with this: options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hi again...I try what you told me...and if I do that the external headphones don't work, there is like a conflict.
Everything was so working fine with 11.10, it is really weird.

If you have another suggestion, thanks for helping, if not I might just live without mic! :)

have a great day!

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Interesting, have you tried the mic in any program other than Skype? Could it maybe be Skype itself that's the problem?

Also, you might want to try opening a terminal, typing "alsamixer" minus the quotes again, and when the mixer comes up press F4to switch to capture devices. You should be able to check the internal mic's level there.

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
It is not only skype, the voice recorder of ubuntu doesn't work either. When I check the asamixer in the terminal there is only one capture now, the bar seem full green, white and red.

Jon Monreal
March 9th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I'm afraid I don't have anything other than that. That's kind of weird that you can only have one or the other though.

neojamin
March 9th, 2012, 04:37 PM
It might be a driver problem or something, I will try an external mic as soon as I find one and it will be fine! I am too happy anyway that I can now here my music from my speakers...it makes a big difference!!!
thanks again for your time and patience!
Have a good one,