PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Best OS for older PC for kids

HomesteadMommy
March 8th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I have an older desktop pc that I want to take Windows XP off of and put Linux on. This is going to before my kids to use. XP runs so slow that it's not worth using the pc right now. lol I had planned to reinstall it to fix that problem but decided to go with Linux instead. :)
I've been looking at Lubuntu and Luninux OS. I'd love to hear what you think would be best for this pc and for kids. I was thinking about Edubuntu. The pc meets the min requirements but it does say 1 GB of RAM is better.

Compaq Presario, Intel celeron 330 D processor ( 2.66 GHz), 256 MB RAM, 80 GB hard drive.

I'm looking for it to run basic educational games that are in the software center, and a few older windows kids games I already have (WINE). Also beginner photo and video editing and wordprocessing.
Kids ages are 10 and under. So my oldest is going to start doing some photo editing and wants to move into video clips eventually. The younger ones are mostly playing games.

Thanks!

TeoBigusGeekus
March 8th, 2012, 10:28 PM
You could try your luck with lubuntu, but if it's gonna be used for photo and video editing don't expect too much.

papibe
March 8th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Lubuntu sounds right, but if possible, I would put more RAM on the machine to increase performance.

Regards.

mastablasta
March 8th, 2012, 10:38 PM
you will ahve a tough time with so little ram. however if you increase the ram by 1Gb (which should be relatively cheap) windows XP will run quite fast/normal. While linux (such as Xubuntu) will run at lightning speed.

just make sure you get the correct ram stick. they are really easy to upgrade. and it think it would be worth it in your case since processor is not so bad.

Lubuntu needs alternate cd to install on 256 MB ram.

reinstalling the XP wouldn't do much as you do not have enough ram. Windows XP SP2 required 512 MB to run decent at least.

critin
March 9th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Google "linux for kids" for good suggestions. Qimo is for small ones and says it will run on 256 mb of ram.

Download Crucial tool and it can tell you what kind of ram to get. Everything will run slow on 256 mb.

theducksfan2010
March 9th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I purchased memory to upgrade my machine with 256MB of memory up to 1GB and installed Lubuntu on it. Could not be more pleased with the results. Lubuntu is great on machines that otherwise would have no life left.

Lubuntu will run on 256MB and even though it says you need an alternate cd to install with only 256MB it installed just fine for me off of the standard cd. Lubuntu will be functional with only 256MB but memory can be found on Amazon with a little searching for cheap (I think I paid $20) and runs phenomenally faster with 1GB installed.

Even at 256MB the machine will perform drastically better running Lubuntu 11.10 over Windows XP SP2 (mine is a dual boot with both).

TeoBigusGeekus
March 9th, 2012, 12:42 AM
And if you ditch lxde for pure openbox, the machine will be probably snappier than any pc running gnome3 or unity...

HomesteadMommy
March 9th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks everyone! :) I will try to update the RAM when I can, but might not be able to for a bit. The pc does run XP, it's just slow. It did run much faster when we first bought it. I'm just backing up a few things from it before I get xp off of there.

I'm going back and forth between trying Lubunto and Qimo 4 Kids now, they both look great! Seriously one of the hardest things about using linux is deciding what one you want. :D

theducksfan2010
March 9th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Lubuntu provides a full feature rich OS, with a 80GB hard drive, loading a fresh install of XP will speed it back up, and installing Lubuntu afterwards, alongside XP will allow you to test it out and try it while still maintainiing XP. If you dont like Lubuntu, just install Qimo 4 kids over it and give it a go.

kevdog
March 9th, 2012, 03:34 AM
For basic requirements, I'm really a fan of the Enlightenment Desktop. Bodhi Linux you might want to check out -- its Ubuntu stable edition with e17 as the window manager. I've tried openbox and fluxbox as well, but found e17 to be solid for me with a little less tinkering.

critin
March 9th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Seriously one of the hardest things about using linux is deciding what one you want.

Look at their reviews on YouTube, and look at more than one review each. They can help with the pro and cons. With an 80 gb hard drive there's room to install 2 or 3 and let the kids decide or each have their own. Dual/triple boot. lol

BBQdave
March 9th, 2012, 05:19 AM
I have an older desktop pc that I want to take Windows XP off of and put Linux on.

Compaq Presario, Intel celeron 330 D processor ( 2.66 GHz), 256 MB RAM, 80 GB hard drive.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 (celeron 2.0GHz with 1 gig of ram), this machine is pushing a decade of use and runs Debian 6 (with Gnome 2) great :D

I would suggest too (as others have) that you add ram, 1 gig would be good. And try Xubuntu. If you are comfortable with Xubuntu, you may want to give Debian a try.

I run Debian 6 (2.6.32 linux kernel) because it works well with my older hardware. Too, I like the Gnome 2 desktop environment offered in Debian 6. I back-port a few programs that I need to be current; and use my machine for desktop and web publishing. Plus I manage my home network with the same machine.

This old machine with GNU/Linux is very productive for me :D

HomesteadMommy
March 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm still playing around with Linux versions. I have Bohdi installed right now and it sure is a nice light OS! Only problem is it wont give me screen res higher than 800x600... I'm going to play with a few others before I decide though...

Had a question about the pc memory. I asked dh to stop by the pc shop we normally deal with. I wrote down the pc specs and the guy there told him the pc already had the max memory for it. Also that he didn't have any SDRam right now.
Now I KNOW he is wrong as the pc spects say you can upgrade to 1 GB with 2 x 512 MIB cards. I checked the HP website and the bios.
Anyway long story short lol I did find someone local selling 2 512 PC133 SDRam chips that are working. But will this work with my pc?
What is installed right now is 256MC PC2700 DDR SDRAM 118 pin.

critin
March 10th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm still playing around with Linux versions. I have Bohdi installed right now and it sure is a nice light OS! Only problem is it wont give me screen res higher than 800x600... I'm going to play with a few others before I decide though...

Had a question about the pc memory. I asked dh to stop by the pc shop we normally deal with. I wrote down the pc specs and the guy there told him the pc already had the max memory for it. Also that he didn't have any SDRam right now.
Now I KNOW he is wrong as the pc spects say you can upgrade to 1 GB with 2 x 512 MIB cards. I checked the HP website and the bios.
Anyway long story short lol I did find someone local selling 2 512 PC133 SDRam chips that are working. But will this work with my pc?
What is installed right now is 256MC PC2700 DDR SDRAM 118 pin.

You will need to make sure of the 'pin' count of sellers chips. Wrong pin count won't fit in your slots. Buying from Ebay is easy and less costly. No shipping fees (if you choose) and quick delivery.

Crucial Scan Tool can be downloaded easily and running it will give the exact chip you have and what will work.
Also the maximum amount the machine can use. Are you sure it said 118 pin? Not 184?

cmcanulty
March 10th, 2012, 10:53 PM
also realize you can add all the edubuntu apps without the whole desktop from synaptic or software center it is gcompris for real young kids,preschool, primary, secondary, and tertiary- whichever or all

theducksfan2010
March 10th, 2012, 11:17 PM
For basic requirements, I'm really a fan of the Enlightenment Desktop. Bodhi Linux you might want to check out -- its Ubuntu stable edition with e17 as the window manager. I've tried openbox and fluxbox as well, but found e17 to be solid for me with a little less tinkering.

Im trying to bring a old laptop without a hd back to life. Will Bodhi Linux boot off a USB? Do you have a recommendation for a laptop with similar specs as hers, but without the abilty to get more than 256MB of memory to run?

bkratz
March 10th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Im trying to bring a old laptop without a hd back to life. Will Bodhi Linux boot off a USB? Do you have a recommendation for a laptop with similar specs as hers, but without the abilty to get more than 256MB of memory to run?

Here are a couple of ways to get a persistent install (to usb) of Bodhi.

http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/20-making-bodhi-persistent-on-a-usb-thumb-drive/

theducksfan2010
March 11th, 2012, 12:04 AM
bkratz - Homesteadmommy, I'm trying Bodhi based off of what you have both said. Loaded it to a USB through Unetbootin. I am at the Profile page, do you recommend using Fancy or Laptop/Netbook Profile??

Or do you think this thing can support the one with effects?

bkratz
March 11th, 2012, 12:08 AM
bkratz - Homesteadmommy, I'm trying Bodhi based off of what you have both said. Loaded it to a USB through Unetbootin. I am at the Profile page, do you recommend using Fancy or Laptop/Netbook Profile??

I have only tried the desktop mode see here for description

http://www.bodhilinux.com/e17guide/e17guideEN/profiles.html

HomesteadMommy
March 11th, 2012, 12:09 AM
You will need to make sure of the 'pin' count of sellers chips. Wrong pin count won't fit in your slots. Buying from Ebay is easy and less costly. No shipping fees (if you choose) and quick delivery.

Crucial Scan Tool can be downloaded easily and running it will give the exact chip you have and what will work.
Also the maximum amount the machine can use. Are you sure it said 118 pin? Not 184?

Yes sorry that was a type o, it's 184 pin. :oops: That is what the HP website stats for my pc said. I'll try running the tool to make sure.
I'm in Canada so shipping from the USA is higher, I was hoping to find some local. A friend thinks he has some sdram, I'm waiting to hear back if it's the type I'm looking for.

I switched to Lubuntu from Bodhi. I couldn't get my screen display working right in Bodhi.
Lubuntu starts up faster then Bodhi on my pc, and seems to run just as fast.

HomesteadMommy
March 11th, 2012, 12:11 AM

Or do you think this thing can support the one with effects?

I was using Fancy and it worked fine. Only trouble I had with Bodhi was that it wouldn't go above 800x600 res. Lubuntu picked better screen settings with out any trouble.

theducksfan2010
March 11th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Does Bodhi do wireless? I can't find a network setup wizard.

Or I'm just stupid and found it, but I cant get a connection.

HomesteadMommy
March 11th, 2012, 12:19 AM
also realize you can add all the edubuntu apps without the whole desktop from synaptic or software center it is gcompris for real young kids,preschool, primary, secondary, and tertiary- whichever or all

Yes thank you I did find gcompris, but I didn't realize it was the same apps as Edubuntu. It says it's for age 2 to 10 and looks like it will keep them busy. :) I didn't see any for older kids though, say about 10 to 12ish years old.

theducksfan2010
March 11th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Homesteadmommy, Iv'e been using Lubuntu for a while. How do you like it over Bodhi?? disregarding the screen resolution issue?

HomesteadMommy
March 11th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Homesteadmommy, Iv'e been using Lubuntu for a while. How do you like it over Bodhi?? disregarding the screen resolution issue?

Bodhi is prettier out of the box. The themes look great. I liked that you could access your main menu buy clicking anywhere on the desktop.
But I found the browser it came with crashed a lot on me, even though it was suppose to be light weight. Some of the apps I tried to install game me errors. Maybe because it's built on an older version of Ubuntu? I don't remember what ones, but they were kids games.
I did like the dock/launcher it had and I might try to make something similar in Lubuntu.
I will say I did like their website app installer. That was super easy to use.

So far the pluses for me with Lubuntu would be, it's running way better then XP ever did. I think just as fast as Bodhi was, or very close. It's browser Cromium has not crashed on me all day. All the apps I've tried to install work. It picked up all my hardware with out any trouble. The only downside, if you can call it one is it's not as flashy right out of setup. But with my pc memory being low I don't want a lot of bling.

All in all, I really like both. I might add Bodhi along side Ubuntu on my laptop to try it out there to.

HomesteadMommy
March 11th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Does Bodhi do wireless? I can't find a network setup wizard.
Or I'm just stupid and found it, but I cant get a connection.

I didn't try Bodhi out with wireless. But there should be an option to enter your wireless password?

theducksfan2010
March 11th, 2012, 12:48 AM
So Bodhi loaded up with the UNetbootin USB the first try, but my wireless did not work. so I shut down. I t wouldnt open so I cleared the USB and reloaded Bodhi with UNetbootin in and I get the screen where I select Default, but nothing happens after that. This is the same way I loaded it the first time and Bodhi was very responsive, so I know the laptop can handle it. Any idea on what to do to get it up again? I can hear the PC running, power light is lit but nothing on display....

Homesteadmommy, I love Lubuntu, I have it installed on 2 old Dell Dimension desktops that I am building a networking lab around.

theducksfan2010
March 11th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Bodhi is prettier out of the box. The themes look great. I liked that you could access your main menu buy clicking anywhere on the desktop.
But I found the browser it came with crashed a lot on me, even though it was suppose to be light weight. Some of the apps I tried to install game me errors. Maybe because it's built on an older version of Ubuntu? I don't remember what ones, but they were kids games.
I did like the dock/launcher it had and I might try to make something similar in Lubuntu.
I will say I did like their website app installer. That was super easy to use.

So far the pluses for me with Lubuntu would be, it's running way better then XP ever did. I think just as fast as Bodhi was, or very close. It's browser Cromium has not crashed on me all day. All the apps I've tried to install work. It picked up all my hardware with out any trouble. The only downside, if you can call it one is it's not as flashy right out of setup. But with my pc memory being low I don't want a lot of bling.

All in all, I really like both. I might add Bodhi along side Ubuntu on my laptop to try it out there to.

The browser kept crashing on me also, so I installed firefox in Bodhi, it seems to be stable.

cmcanulty
March 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM
did you read my post saying also there is preschool, primary, secondary, and tertiary bundles under education in software center