PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help with Tor badly

M00z3ly
March 8th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Hi All, I'm i guess a complete newbie to linux, im learning my way around pretty well but i can not for the life of me get Tor working on my laptop. I've been trying from several differant tutorials including the one on the tor page and from here with little progress. I got so far as to have tor installed but would not connect to the port as it was apparently already connected!! If anyone can help to first un-install any useless things I have installed and run a clean install of tor i would be very grateful. Many Thanks, your humble beginner :) im running ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

winh8r
March 8th, 2012, 06:40 PM
My best advice to you is do not use Tor unless you NEED to use it. Tor is great for someone living in an oppressive regime where they need to get information to the outside world, but for general everyday use, Tor is not worth it. It will slow your internet speed down to a crawl,and on top of that unless you are sending and receiving fully encrypted data , it is no more secure than a properly configured standard set up.
You have no way of knowing who is running the exit node you are using to get out to the internet, and no way of knowing how much of your traffic is being intercepted and read/accessed if you do happen to be going through a "rogue node".

Probably best to stick with normal browsing or use a straightforward proxy, but always remember, just because you think you are "invisible" does not mean that you are.

Sorry if this is a bit negative , but it will really save you a lot of headaches in the long run if you avoid Tor unless it is imperative that you use it.

M00z3ly
March 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hi winh8r, thanks for the quick response and the advice. I admit i've no Need to go to onionland it's more a desire to find/explore the less known parts of the internet and frankly the Deep Web fascinates me. I appreciate your warning and understand the risks involved with using tor but my original question still stands if you or anyone can help?

Bobhuber
March 8th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hi winh8r, thanks for the quick response and the advice. I admit i've no Need to go to onionland it's more a desire to find/explore the less known parts of the internet and frankly the Deep Web fascinates me. I appreciate your warning and understand the risks involved with using tor but my original question still stands if you or anyone can help?
Take a look at this while your at it. A bit better than TOR.
http://blog.opendns.com/2012/02/16/tales-from-the-dnscrypt-linux-rising/

winh8r
March 8th, 2012, 07:50 PM
If you are just interested in checking it out then you would be better using something like this:

https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html

Which is basically a Live CD that connects to the tor network but does not require any changes to your computer(just like the Ubuntu Live CD).

It will probably be easier for you and save you getting into altering settings on your system to allow an installed version of tor to run properly.

Hope this is of some help to you.

M00z3ly
March 8th, 2012, 10:06 PM
@Bobhuber thanks man this looks really interesting not exactly what i was looking for :) but definitely something I would like to explore more! @winh8er this is exactly what i was looking for working already :) thanks for all your help fella much appreciated!

winh8r
March 8th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Glad it was some help to you.

Good Luck