PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Convert Audacity (.aup) file to .ardour filetype?

sirriffsalot
March 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hello friends!

I was surprised that with 20 minutes of searching I could not find anyone or anylink or anywebpage covering this!

The title says it all really, is it possible to, in any way, open recorded tracks, the entire .aup file, or convert the .aup file into the Ardour format so it can be edited and continued in Ardour? Any of these solutions would be wonderful. It seems doing Ctrl + O (Open Session) and trying to open a Audacity file does not work, at least not in Ubuntu Studios, because the window does not allow a display of "All files" just "Ardour sessions".

Cheers!

--> Leo

sgx
March 7th, 2012, 10:37 PM
A file recorded, or imported into, and edited, with audacity, should be exported to a common format that can be imported into ardour and other software. If the audacity session has multiple tracks, exporting
will render them to one stereo track, but you can select (ctrl-a)
a track, or portion of a track, and export that without rendering, then import the desired parts to an ardour session.
Cheers

sirriffsalot
March 8th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured in the end! Thanks for that, a lot of people will find that handy I am sure. Where could I suggest that a converting application should be made? I'm nowhere near the skill of developing it myself, otherwise I would try :-/

sgx
March 8th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Since they are unrelated projects, with different goals, I would not expect them to create sharable project files. I doubt any commercial DAW software does either. Too much work, with little to gain. :)