PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Adding other Desktop Environments to Ubuntu Studio

sirriffsalot
March 6th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Hello!

Pretty straight forward, really.. I recently installed the Ubuntu Studio OS but can't relate too well to XFCE for some reason, so I wonder how to install the other Desktop Environments in such a way that they are selectable right before login. Thanks a million to all who take their time out to read and help!

--> Leo

sgx
March 6th, 2012, 12:08 PM
When you log out, there should be something to select a session,
with a couple options, one being to make a different environment the
new default.
Cheers

Bucky Ball
March 6th, 2012, 12:28 PM
When you log out, there should be something to select a session,
with a couple options, one being to make a different environment the
new default.
Cheers

But you need to install the other DEs first ... depending on the release, Gnome Classic may already be there; not sure about in UStudio.

At the login screen there is a 'Sessions' pop-up menu (at bottom of screen to the right). If you install another DE it will be in there. Choose the new DE, login and it will automatically become the default. You have to manually change it to make another DE the default. ;)

Search to install other DEs; 'install kde desktop environment ubuntu' for instance. Unity I think is as simple as going to Synaptics and installing it, but I'd research that first, too. lxde is also installable through Synaptics. Kde DE is a slightly more complex beast.

BE WARNED: DO NOT install, for instance, kubuntu-desktop. That is NOT installing the KDE desktop environment only but ALL of the packages, dependencies and apps relevant to kubuntu. You don't want that. Avoid installing *-desktop anything. You will wind up with a whole lot of stuff you don't want and application menus crammed with stuff you'll never use.

PS: What seems to be the issues with Xfce? Curious as I love it and all I use; may be able to help you over some of the hurdles ...