PDA

View Full Version : OnLive Desktop with Linux?

j814wong
March 4th, 2012, 01:10 AM
I've just seen and tried OnLive Desktop on my Android tablet. It works quite well. But my experience was tainted by the fact that it was Windows.

So, would anyone who has better writing skills and perhaps some legal knowlkedge like to make a petition for Ubuntu to run on OnLive Desktop instead of jsut Windows 7? Due to the open source nature and less resource intensiveness of Ubuntu. I'm am quite sure that Ubuntu can run quite well streamed with OnLvie Desktop.

Copper Bezel
March 4th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Well, the entire purpose of OnLive is that it gives you access to a full Windows PC. The only people who would be interested in using the service to access an Ubuntu desktop would be people who are already Ubuntu users, who are a tiny proportion of desktop users, and by and large, an Ubuntu user is more likely than the average Windows user to set up VNC and use his or her own system remotely, rather than using something like OnLive's setup.

j814wong
March 4th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Well, the entire purpose of OnLive is that it gives you access to a full Windows PC. The only people who would be interested in using the service to access an Ubuntu desktop would be people who are already Ubuntu users, who are a tiny proportion of desktop users, and by and large, an Ubuntu user is more likely than the average Windows user to set up VNC and use his or her own system remotely, rather than using something like OnLive's setup.
That is true. However, to spread Ubuntu and make it more popular, it should be as easy as possible to acquire in multiple ways or for mutlipel reasons. In this case, to easily get Ubuntu to run on a tablet via the cloud. Sure, a VNC can work but with something like OnLive, its as simple as installing an app and that's that.

That's what Ubuntu has served to do for Linux. It has made Linux easy to use and that helped Linux gain more popularity in teh desktop computing world and that popularity is growing.

grahammechanical
March 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Ubuntu has this

http://edubuntu.org/vmmanager

and this

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

Microsoft has for years wanted to move away from the licence and install Windows business model to a pay to use model.

Linux distributors do not and should not try to compete with Microsoft and Apple because they do not and should not have a "get a monopoly and make billions" business model.

Regards.