PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Programming

mikaelcrocker
March 3rd, 2012, 12:28 AM
I want to get into programming/communicating with wireless devices and such. I've programmed and am most familiar with C++ and C# but also familiar with Ruby and Java as well.

I understand that certain devices or apps have an api to interface with, just looking for a place to start with something basic. Any suggestions??

surfer
March 3rd, 2012, 12:33 AM
maybe i misunderstand, but all you have to learn is how to do tcp/ip programming. wireless (if you mean wifi and not bluetooth or alike) devices look the same way as an ethernet cable once they have an ip address.

r-senior
March 3rd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Are you thinking of Bluetooth devices?

mikaelcrocker
March 3rd, 2012, 12:52 AM
maybe i misunderstand, but all you have to learn is how to do tcp/ip programming. wireless (if you mean wifi and not bluetooth or alike) devices look the same way as an ethernet cable once they have an ip address.

Yea, Wifi is what I'm going for, I was just wanting to know what a good language is for programming or communicating via wifi. i have looked into Ruby, but dont' know if there is a better way. Thanks

Tony Flury
March 3rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
As previous people have said - unless you intend to re-write your wifi hardawre drivers, it shouldn't matter if your network connection is ethernet or wifi.

You need to look at a socket library - i know C/C++, python and a number of other languages have socket libraries - not sure about Ruby.

surfer
March 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
twisted (http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/) should let you do a lot of what you need if you want to program in python.

python has also a built-in socket module that could get you started.