PDA

View Full Version : Bash "HERE documents " help

woodson2
March 2nd, 2012, 02:48 AM
I'm trying to enter a block of text into an existing configuration file for OpenLDAP so the setup can be fully scripted.

The text below is what I want to enter into slapd.conf and this all works well and good, however as you probably know this will place the text at the end of the file. What I'd like to know is how can I choose where in an existing file I want to place the text or is this beyond the scope of HERE documents?

cat >> slapd.conf << "EOF"
access to attrs=userPassword
by self write
by anonymous auth
by dn.base="cn=root,dc=abclott,dc=lott" write
by group.base="cn=infrastructure,ou=GTECH,ou=groups,dc=abclott,dc =lott" write
by dn.base="uid=ldapmgr,ou=people,dc=abclott,dc=lott" write
by * none

access to dn.children="ou=people,dc=abclott,dc=lott"
by dn.base="cn=bind,dc=abclott,dc=lott" read
by users read
by * none

access to dn.children="ou=groups,dc=abclott,dc=lott"
by users read
by * none

access to dn.children="ou=servers,dc=abclott,dc=lott"
by group.base="cn=infrastructure,ou=GTECH,ou=groups,dc=abclott,dc =lott" write
by users read
by * none

access to dn.subtree="ou=SUDOers,dc=abclott,dc=lott"
by users read
by * none

access to *
by dn.base="cn=bind,dc=abclott,dc=lott" search
by * none
EOF

diesch
March 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
With here docs you are using just the normal output redirection of the shell. So you can only replace a file with the content of the here doc or append the content to an existing file.

m4 (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/en/man1/m4.1posix.html) may be a solution for you.

ofnuts
March 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'm trying to enter a block of text into an existing configuration file for OpenLDAP so the setup can be fully scripted.

The text below is what I want to enter into slapd.conf and this all works well and good, however as you probably know this will place the text at the end of the file. What I'd like to know is how can I choose where in an existing file I want to place the text or is this beyond the scope of HERE documents?

You won't avoid using some form of marker in the file to indicate where the new input should be inserted. Beside the macro processor above, there are ways to tell sed or awk to print a file up to, or starting from, a given pattern and use that to bracket your new input.

A low-tech solution can also be to use "grep -n" to find the line number of the marker and then use it with wc -l/head/tail to extract the relevant parts.

Khayyam
March 3rd, 2012, 07:54 AM
That "choice" is a line? If so ...

The contents of 'edit.ldif' are inserted at line 8 of input.ldif and the output collected in output.ldif

awk '{print} NR==8 {while (getline < "edit.ldif") print}' input.ldif > output.ldif

You know you can use 'ldapadd' or 'ldapmodify' for this kind of thing right?

HTH ... khay