PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Streaming Movies from NAS

mazingaz
February 26th, 2012, 12:13 AM
i recently installed Lubuntu 11.10 onto dell mini9 and it is running great however when I try to stream movie from NAS the player just stops and won't play anything.

Do any of you have similar prob???

papibe
February 26th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Are you really streaming or reading the files from a share?

If you are streaming, what kind of service/protocol are you using?

What kind of files are you trying to reproduce, are they HD?

Regards.

mazingaz
February 26th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I have LG NAS server with all the media file stored. I am only trying to read the file from the NAS server witth lubuntu installed machine.
The Lubuntu sees the folder and see the files stored, but when I try to play it using the gnome player it just stops.

Porcini M.
February 26th, 2012, 08:25 AM
It might just be because the video is too processor-heavy for your computer to handle. Try loading a smaller file from the NAS, like an image file. If that works, then you may need a computer with a faster processor to watch movies.

mazingaz
February 26th, 2012, 01:05 PM
It might just be because the video is too processor-heavy for your computer to handle. Try loading a smaller file from the NAS, like an image file. If that works, then you may need a computer with a faster processor to watch movies.

not true. i had xp b4 the Lubuntu and was reading avi files fine.

papibe
February 26th, 2012, 08:41 PM
A few thoughts:

In order to play a movie locally you need to:

have the necessary codecs installed.
have enough hardware to reproduce it.
note that there are better player that the stock. I recommend VLC or SMplayer.
for SD movies you don't need much hardware.
for Full HD movies you need a video hardware acceleration, that is, a modern graphic card, and the proper drivers and libraries.

To play a movie over the network you need to:

Be sure it plays locally first.
have enough bandwidth to reproduce it properly,
that is not usally a problem if you have a wired connection to both the server/NAS and your machine.
In case of a wireless connection things change. In my experience, it's very difficult to reproduce HD movies over wireless unless you have an outstanding signal level. It helps if you have a N wireless router, instead of a regular G router.

Tell us how it goes.
Regards.

TomatoKetchup
May 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I had similar issues when using AFP to open files via my NAS. Switching to SMB solves the problem for me. I'm not exactly sure why Nautilus chooses AFP over SMB. Just a thought, if you're still having issues.

jmore9
May 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
Try VLC thats what i use for almost everything.

LuigiAntoniol
May 1st, 2012, 09:58 PM
I get a similar error with VLC, but GNOME player has no problems reading media files from a shared drive.

My setup is a laptop running Lubuntu 12.04 64 bit and the shared folder is on a PC running Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit.

The error with VLC is that it cannot "verify" the shared drive, throws up an error about the path, even though I open it using the VLC "open file" menu. Same error occurs when I right click on the file and say "open with VLC".

Local files are no problem with VLC, though.

And I have all the latest and greatest codecs installed from the Ubuntu repos as well as the Medibuntu repos.

marinara
May 2nd, 2012, 05:34 AM
try mounting the share, then retry mplayer on the mounted system