PDA

View Full Version : I love my UNR - do I have to upgrade?

galyna1
February 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hello! Hoping I can get some help here.

About 2 years ago I got a netbook - it's my primary computer. A friend recommended the 10.04 Ubuntu Netbook Remix as an OS, and I love it so much that it made me a die-hard Linux fan in less than a day - and that's with having hardware compatibility issues! It is so intuitive, so simple, so absolutely perfect for the way I use my computer. When I upgraded my computer to a newer netbook I automatically installed UNR and was again thrilled.

When Ubuntu moved on to 11.04 I tried it and hated it. I don't like the Unity bar, I don't like the layout, I couldn't find anything quickly, I found it slow and sluggish, my handy categories and wonderful left-side tab bar thing were gone... it felt like my computer was fighting me the entire time I used it. UNR fits me like a glove, but I just don't think the way the Unity scheme wants me to. So I went back to UNR, thankful that it was an LTS version.

But now we're coming up on April 2012, which is when I think support is ending for the UNR I know and love. Do I have to upgrade to the new version I don't like? Can I keep running UNR? How would I keep security and such current if I did that? Is there another version with a similar layout I could use? I'm still learning basic line command stuff, so it's not the back end changes that bother me - what I love about UNR is the GUI. Can I keep that somehow?

I hope this is understandable. As is obvious, I'm still very new to the way Linux in general works with new versions over time. Any help DEEPLY appreciated!

Carterclan
February 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
10.04 Lucid Lynx will be supported until April 2013. When you do need to Upgrade you could try using gnome shell if Unity is not for you.
It's the beauty of Linux, there are always other options;)

galyna1
February 25th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I've got another year? Hooray! Thanks so much! Hopefully between now and then I'll learn enough to work something out. Thanks for the suggestion!