PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Startup script help

roodypoo
February 25th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I would like to write a small script that searches for available network adapters, brings them down, runs macchanger on them then brings them up. I would like this script to run each time the computer is booted up. Would someone point me in the right direction?

Also, these commands require root privileges. Is there a way to run them at startup with root privileges.

When I write other scripts, is there a way to pass the password to commands in a bash script?

Thanks

The Cog
February 26th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I think /etc/rc.local is probably the best place to call your script from. This runs with root privilege, and so any scripts that it calls should not be editable by normal users. These commands will set the right permissions and put the script in the /bin directory:

sudo chown root:root script
sudo chmod 744 script
sudo mv script /bin

Lars Noodén
February 26th, 2012, 11:45 AM
/usr/local/bin (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/en/man7/hier.7.html) or /usr/local/sbin might be an even better place for the script.

roodypoo
February 26th, 2012, 02:57 PM
When you say "call the script" do you mean to amend rc.local with the path to the script? Or do I have to make a link?

Also, I can hardcode the interface aliases, but is there a place to read them from then feed them into the scrip as variables?

Lars Noodén
February 26th, 2012, 03:48 PM
When you say "call the script" do you mean to amend rc.local with the path to the script? Or do I have to make a link?
I mean the former. Put a line inside /etc/rc.local that calls your script. Make sure it is before the line with 'exit 0'

Also, I can hardcode the interface aliases, but is there a place to read them from then feed them into the scrip as variables?

I'm sure it can be done but can you clarify a little more about what you are trying to do? You can grab the script arguments with ${1}, ${2}, ${3}, and so on.

#!/bin/sh

echo $# script arguments;
echo The first is "${1}";
echo The second is "${2}";

roodypoo
February 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM
The script will look like this

#! /bin/bash

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo ifconfig wlan2 down
sudo macchanger -A wlan0
sudo macchanger -A wlan2
sleep 2
sudo ifconfig wlan0
sudo ifconfig wlan2
But, what I'd like is for the script to find all available interfaces and feed them in as variables.

I would just add the path to the script in rc.local?

Here is rc.local at /etc/init.d/rc.local

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: rc.local
# Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog $all
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:
# Short-Description: Run /etc/rc.local if it exist
### END INIT INFO

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

. /lib/init/vars.sh
. /lib/lsb/init-functions

do_start() {
if [ -x /etc/rc.local ]; then
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_begin_msg "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)"
/etc/rc.local
ES=$?
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_end_msg $ES
return $ES
fi
}

case "$1" in
start)
do_start
;;
restart|reload|force-reload)
echo "Error: argument '$1' not supported" >&2
exit 3
;;
stop)
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 start|stop" >&2
exit 3
;;
esac

/usr/bin/myscript.sh

roodypoo
February 28th, 2012, 03:24 AM
So I got the script to run at startup, but it only changes the MAC of one of the interfaces.

Lars Noodén
February 28th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Here is rc.local at /etc/init.d/rc.local

Sorry, I just noticed. That's the systemv script for /etc/rc.local your actual changes should go in /etc/rc.local instead, right before the line "exit 0"

roodypoo
February 28th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Thank you. I got the script to run, but it only changes one of the devices MACs.

Is there a command that outputs the name of the device only, so that I may use those as variable?

Ifconfig -a lists all the available network devices with other information. All I want is the device name itself.

How can I make those variables for a script?

Lars Noodén
February 28th, 2012, 08:52 PM
You could do something like this to get just the names of the devices:

for i in $(/sbin/ifconfig -a | awk '/^[a-z]/{if ( $1 != "lo" ) print $1}')
do echo $i;
done

Substitute what you want for echo.