PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why aMule isn't updated automatically?

YigalB
February 25th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I installed aMule from the Synaptic.
Since then, aMule has a newer version.

How come it is not updated automatically like other software is?

mcduck
February 25th, 2012, 07:41 PM
So you actually have a third-party repository that provides up-to-date packages for aMule?

Software versions in Ubuntu's official repositories are generally kept the same for the full lifetime of that release, and updates are only made for security reasons and to fix any serious bugs, never just to give you the latest available version or new features. (the reason for this is stability, the original versions were all tested to work together without problems, and doing a detailed testing for all the updates with all the possible software and hardware combinations wouldn't be possible).

So if you want to always have the latest version of some program, you'll need to find a third-party repository that provides such updates, or install the latest versions manually.

YigalB
February 25th, 2012, 08:15 PM
So you actually have a third-party repository that provides up-to-date packages for aMule?

Software versions in Ubuntu's official repositories are generally kept the same for the full lifetime of that release, and updates are only made for security reasons and to fix any serious bugs, never just to give you the latest available version or new features. (the reason for this is stability, the original versions were all tested to work together without problems, and doing a detailed testing for all the updates with all the possible software and hardware combinations wouldn't be possible).

So if you want to always have the latest version of some program, you'll need to find a third-party repository that provides such updates, or install the latest versions manually.

Thanks.
So what 3rd party do I have to enable in order to allow aMule version updated?
I don't want to install manually, unless it is a single command line.

mcduck
February 25th, 2012, 08:40 PM
You'll have to wait for some aMule user to find this thread and answer that, or try searching with Google or PPA repositories or something. I don't use aMule myself so I don't where you might get updated packages.