PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Coming back to Linux

LinuxFP
February 25th, 2012, 06:39 AM
So, I've decided to come back to Linux. I have a few questions here:

1. Is it possible so that when a external mouse is plugged in, my touchpad is disabled?

2. What distro performs the best for running games in WINE + PlayOnLinux? (eg; Source Engine)

3. When I last used Linux, Steam had major UI lag. Is this fixed in WINE or something?

4. I own a copy of Quake 3 for Windows. Am I allowed to pirate/HTTP Download the Native Linux version?

If there's one thing, I'm not switching to Ubuntu Unity ever :mad:

divague
February 25th, 2012, 08:44 AM
1. Is it possible so that when a external mouse is plugged in, my touchpad is disabled?

You can use Touchpad indicator - link (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/touchpad-indicator-now-automatically.html)

Jake5
February 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Mighty grumpy of you... I Love me some 'buntu!

But we're here to help, so I will help where i can:

Mouse problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1681514
or Google: disable touchpad when external mouse is plugged in, Ubuntu...Thats what i did.

2: idk.

3: Idk.

4: you really should buy software licenses from companies that require you too...require defined loosely, more like ask...don't screw with peoples jobs man..."Dude, You're Being Very Un-Dude Right Now". Its a moral issue.

5: Why so grumpy about Unity? Its better than 7 all day loooooooooooooooooong.

6:If you fancy yourself a serious gamer...why would you switch to Linux... they tell you on their website its not for you...

7:Asking for help on a specific forum while simultaneously bashing the OS that most of its users run, update, upgrade, and adore...is not a very good approach..."Obviously you're not a golfer."

I helped out where I could.
All I can say is maybe be a little more polite and a little less grumpy off the bat in your next post and you will probably get help from people who know what they're doing, instead of the guy who feels sorry for your unreplied to post. Like I tell my three year old nephew when he's whining...Use your big boy words...Everyone else is just ignoring the unwanted behavior in hopes that it will stop. :lolflag:

greenpeace
February 25th, 2012, 11:34 AM
2. What distro performs the best for running games in WINE + PlayOnLinux? (eg; Source Engine)

3. When I last used Linux, Steam had major UI lag. Is this fixed in WINE or something?

Why not dual boot and use Windows for games?

You'll find that everything works much nicer, and then you can use Ubuntu for your "real" computing.

it doesn't have to be one or t'other...

LinuxFP
February 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I hate hate hate hate Wubi :x. If there's a way to dual boot for Arch and Windows while still being on NTFS, then I'm set. Well, FAT32 could work, but I might have issues copying some heavyweight folders :o

Carterclan
February 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I hate hate hate hate Wubi :x. If there's a way to dual boot for Arch and Windows while still being on NTFS, then I'm set. Well, FAT32 could work, but I might have issues copying some heavyweight folders :o

You don't have to use Wubi to dual boot.

sudodus
February 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM
- Wubi is not dual boot. And say what you like instead of what you hate!

- NTFS can be used for a common data partition between windows and linux. Browse for dual boot linux windows

- Any linux distro and version can dual boot with Windows.

QIII
February 25th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Piracy is, to put it mildly, reprehensible. Don't even bother asking if piracy is OK here. You should know the answer already.

If it's free from the developers, download it and pitch a dollar or two in the PayPal tip cup.

If it's not free, buy it or don't use it.

wolfen69
February 25th, 2012, 11:14 PM

You'll find that everything works much nicer, and then you can use Ubuntu for your "real" computing.

it doesn't have to be one or t'other...

I agree with this.