PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cant boot ubuntu from usb

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 12:45 AM
ok. I am trying to install ubuntu on a new build and when i go to boot ubuntu from the first hdd from the usb it just boots into windows. im trying to do that because i cant use the normal ubuntu installer i just get the really old installer....
anyone know what the problem is
parker

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 01:02 AM
You say it is a new build, but there is a windows on there. I think it might help if you list exactly what you have done up to now.

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:04 AM
ok. i just reinstalled windows on it, then i go and try this whole 10.04 installer thing and i compleatly wipes my hdd and when i go to boot it up again is just keeps flashing an underscore and just stays there.....

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 01:09 AM
What do you mean it completely wipes the hdd? Is Windows gone now? Or is the problem only when trying to boot to ubuntu?

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:09 AM
windows is gone

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 01:11 AM
When you tried to install, which option did you choose from the "install beside", "use the whole disk", "something else" ?

Did it look like it had finished installing?

You could boot into the live environment (try without installing on the Ubuntu cd) and have a look at your drive from there to see what state it is in....

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 01:12 AM
What audiomick said...

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:12 AM
When you tried to install, which option did you choose from the "install beside", "use the whole disk", "something else" ?

Did it look like it had finished installing?

You could boot into the live environment (try without installing on the Ubuntu cd) and have a look at your drive from there to see what state it is in....

that doesnt work. and i dont have the normal installer so i had to manually partition and it wiped my whole hdd

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Can you download and burn a proper live cd or usb from another computer? What type of installer are you using that you have to do the partitioning yourself?

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:18 AM
i have done both. and i am using the old 10.04 installer. for some reason thats what shows up

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 01:20 AM
that doesnt work.
You should always be able to boot into the live environment.

UNLESS

and i dont have the normal installer so i had to manually partition and it wiped my whole hddyou have an alternate installer. Is this the case? How are you trying to install?

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Hello Parker.
Can You Specify Your Computer Hardware And Desktop?

Putting It In Short Terms
Are Your Doing It On A Old Desktop? Or Laptop

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:27 AM
when i try to do the live "trial" it just boots to windows. i am just trying a 100gb partition with the altrenate installer. yes it is not the graphical. it flashes an underscore and when it should do grub it just stays at the flashing underscroe.

Computer Specs

Core 2 Duo 3ghz
4gb ram
asrock g31m
asus geforce 210 1 gb
250 hdd

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Is it a CD that the "live" doesn't work from? Or is it a USB thumb drive maybe?

Weird that you can't get into a live environment. I thought that was pretty much bullet proof.

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Is there a specific reason you need the alternate installer? Seems like your PC should be able to handle the standard.

Are you using something like pendrivelinux when installing from the usb?

parkerskouson
doesnt work on either

parkerskouson
and no ive got a lappy that has ubuntu that i used to do the usb and imgburn to burn the image

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Is there a specific reason you need the alternate installer? Seems like your PC should be able to handle the standard.

Are you using something like pendrivelinux when installing from the usb?

im not choosing, thats just whats happening

westie457
February 25th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Hi somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

The alternate installer does not have a 'Live' mode so you cannot try before installing.

Also have you set the BIOS to boot from CD or USB before the hard drive?

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:39 AM
yep i have. if there was a way to manually choose the installer i would do that. but idk how to do that.

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 01:42 AM
im not choosing, thats just whats happening

Got ya. Maybe try downloading the iso again? Like mick said the live cd is usually reliable. Sounds like when you select live it's trying to boot from the hdd. No clue why that would happen other than a bad install disk.

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:44 AM
ive downloader the iso 2x in both 32 and 64 bit tried the usb 3x and the cd 2x. i dont think that is the prob. could the version be the prob? cause im tryin 12.04 but that shouldnt be the prob

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 01:45 AM
if there was a way to manually choose the installer i .
There isn't. Either you have burned an image to get a Live CD (or USB pendrive, whatever...) or you have used an image for the alternate installer.

It also occurs to me to ask if you have checked the image to see if it downloaded good. You should check the MD5 sum of the file you downloaded.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 01:47 AM
ive downloader the iso 2x in both 32 and 64 bit tried the usb 3x and the cd 2x. i dont think that is the prob. could the version be the prob? cause im tryin 12.04 but that shouldnt be the prob

Could be since that's not an official release yet. Maybe try with 11.10 and see if you get the same problems?

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:48 AM
thats all good

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 01:49 AM
... cause im tryin 12.04 but that shouldnt be the prob
no, that shouldn't be the problem.

do the MD5 sum on the image.

Given that it is a new build, try a live CD that you know is good, if you have one.

Also, even though the 12.04 should work, it isn't out yet. It is just about possible that they have put a dodgy image up. Not likely, but not impossible.

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Hello parkerskouson (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1317220)

The Reason I Said To Specify Is Cause I Had A Recent Problem.

So You Cant Even Boot Your Usb
Have You Checked Your BIOS?

Or Run The LiveCD?:KS

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:50 AM
ok... ill try it but its worked before but ill give it a try

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:51 AM
the m5d works

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Hello parkerskouson (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1317220)

The Reason I Said To Specify Is Cause I Had A Recent Problem.

So You Cant Even Boot Your Usb
Have You Checked Your BIOS?

Or Run The LiveCD?:KS

bios is all good. it wont install correctly it boots to the usb fine

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 01:53 AM
thats all good

Assuming 11.10 installs properly, I've got to guess it's a version thing. It SHOULDN'T be, but what else could it be if previous versions are installing okay?

Maybe report it as a bug so the developers can take a look before the official release?

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:54 AM
will do. thanks for the help but do you think the weird installer is a version thing?

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Post And Tell Us How Everything Goes.
Have Anymore Problems Just Ask Man.:guitar:

HeroOfCanton
will do. thanks for the help but do you think the weird installer is a version thing?

Well, if previous versions install fine and this one screws up I just can't think of another reason. Maybe they changed the installer and created some unexpected bugs.

parkerskouson
ok will do

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Well, if previous versions install fine and this one screws up I just can't think of another reason. Maybe they changed the installer and created some unexpected bugs.
that would make sense

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 02:01 AM
that would make sense
Yeah, if I've understood everything correctly, then there is not much else that it could be, I think...

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Makes Sense.

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 03:41 AM
well that didnt work. i tried the trial and it just kicked my back to the normal screen. and i still have to altrienent installer. any other ideas? i tried 11.10

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 03:55 AM
What do you mean by kicked you back to the normal screen? The install selection menu?

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 03:56 AM
What do you mean by kicked you back to the normal screen? The install selection menu?
yeah that says install and mem test etc...

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Hmmmm.

Have You Tried Any Previous Versions Of Ubuntu?

When I Installed 11.10 It Did The Same To Me A While Ago.

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 03:57 AM
ive got 11.04 an 10.10 i think ill try 10.10 ......... might as well

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Im On 10.10
and it works fine

unity desktop killed it for me.

i mean compiz
then the layout wasnt my taste

im running BlackBuntu 10.10 on mine

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Try 10.10 before all of the unity additions. It could be a video driver issue and it would seem to make sense that unity would have upgrades with all of the 3d.

Another thought along that line: Maybe try k or xubuntu or anything with a non-gnome gui.

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:02 AM
i think it might also be my graphics card.... seeing it takes special drivers to work with windows........

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:02 AM
besides 10.10 is still my fav

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Yea try what me and HeroOfCanton (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1515672) told ya.

try 10.10

i havnt had any problems with it.

if that dosnt work give me time to study up on this kind of problem.

to speak my mind i dont like all versions after 10.10

10.10 is the most stable and awesome interface for me.

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Yea try what me and HeroOfCanton (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1515672) told ya.

try 10.10

i havnt had any problems with it.

if that dosnt work give me time to study up on this kind of problem.

to speak my mind i dont like all versions after 10.10

10.10 is the most stable and awesome interface for me.

totaly agree with you on that one. thanks for the help

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 04:05 AM
totaly agree with you on that one. thanks for the help

No Problem At All Man:popcorn:

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:10 AM
thats what im talking about!!!!!!! it totally worked. none of the selecting crap. straight to a good desktop!!!!! thanks so much all of ya!!!!!!!

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 04:11 AM
You may want to give Xubuntu a try. Switched because I'm a programmer and unity was just killing me. Ubuntu with XFCE allows me to use the newest kernels and keep my updates fresh while having a gui that feels right. I still install a bunch of gnome tools like gedit so I don't have to learn too many new things though. :D

Glad it's working though! Sounds like it was the video card after all.

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 04:13 AM
thats what im talking about!!!!!!! it totally worked. none of the selecting crap. straight to a good desktop!!!!! thanks so much all of ya!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOD!!!!:guitar:

so glad you got it

Welcome To Linux My Friend.

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 04:15 AM
You may want to give Xubuntu a try. Switched because I'm a programmer and unity was just killing me. Ubuntu with XFCE allows me to use the newest kernels and keep my updates fresh while having a gui that feels right. I still install a bunch of gnome tools like gedit so I don't have to learn too many new things though. :D

Yes Yes
thats smart.

im trying new distros
and its good to try new things.

my current OS's
Ubuntu,BlackBuntu,Backtrack,Mint Linux,Puppy Linux,Kbuntu,And So Many More

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:16 AM
hey. while your here. i just deleted my windows partition!!! fail... but it was fresh so nothing lost. when i did this same process grub was deleted. how would i manage to get that back?

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:16 AM

i may just have to do that

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Grub recovery:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:18 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

thanks will mark as solved

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 04:19 AM
hey. while your here. i just deleted my windows partition!!! fail... but it was fresh so nothing lost. when i did this same process grub was deleted. how would i manage to get that back?

Try This Man
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm

Im Doing This Right Now lol:popcorn:

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Try This Man
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm

Im Doing This Right Now lol:popcorn:
im gonna do this and the other on when it is installed

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 04:21 AM
im gonna do this and the other on when it is installed

Good Luck Man
post if everything went good :guitar:

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:22 AM
for sure

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:30 AM
OK. Now its just blinking an underscore and it has for like 5 min

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 04:33 AM
OK. Now its just blinking an underscore and it has for like 5 min

How far along are you? Are you at the first boot to the hdd?

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Yeah

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 04:36 AM
It's got to be that video card again. Did you install updates and 3rd party software during the install? Bet something updated and tried to load that bad driver again. :(

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:37 AM
I didn't. But ill try to use the stock video to get it running then install drivers....

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Very Important To Install The Updates At Install.

Sometimes They Help With The Kind Of Problems You Are Having:lolflag:

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I didn't. But ill try to use the stock video to get it running then install drivers....

By stock do you mean an on-board card? If so, are you disabling the on-board video in BIOS when using the other card? Could be causing a conflict if you have both enabled.

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:45 AM
OK. I'm going to install the driver to get it running then put in the disk that came with the card.

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 04:47 AM
OK. I'm going to install the driver to get it running then put in the disk that came with the card.

Give Us The Output After You Do This :P

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Will do:guitar:

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Still not working

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 07:03 AM
That really sucks. Thought we had this one nailed... :(

Willing to give Xubuntu a shot and see what happens? I'm out of other ideas... Not really sure if the drivers are the same or not, but what's one more download and install at this point? :D

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 07:08 AM
for sure. But prob not tonight. Ill get back to you guys tomorrow

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Well xubunut isn't working. I'm gonna try mint now cause i like it a lot

parkerskouson
February 25th, 2012, 06:39 PM
ok. so now it is just no ubuntu. nothing i have tried so far will install at all except windows. but i would much rather have ubuntu than any other distro so if anyone knows of a fix please share it

thanks
parker

enjoijesus94
February 26th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I really thought we had this one.
Hmmmm

Give Me every detail of what happens when you try to boot into ubuntu?

for example.
what does the screen look like?
The mouse?
Anything to do with the look basically

i may know what the problem is.

Whats Your Graphics Again?;)

HeroOfCanton
February 26th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Okay, first remove your video card. Next, hit it with a hammer until it's in powder form. Then get a new one and try again. :D:D:D J/K. We'll get this figured out eventually.

enjoi, I think it was just a flashing cursor on the first boot to the HDD after install.

Parker, were you able to get the install complete on the other distros or was it kicking you to that alt installer again? Are the problems still happening on the first HDD boot? Did you try checking the updates and 3rd party boxes this time around?

enjoijesus94
February 26th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Okay, first remove your video card. Next, hit it with a hammer until it's in powder form. Then get a new one and try again. :D:D:D J/K. We'll get this figured out eventually.

enjoi, I think it was just a flashing cursor on the first boot to the HDD after install.

Parker, were you able to get the install complete on the other distros or was it kicking you to that alt installer again? Are the problems still happening on the first HDD boot? Did you try checking the updates and 3rd party boxes this time around?

Hero? Im thinking it might be the graphic card problem
who knows
we have been trying to figure this out.

hmmm
im hopin he can get the nomodeset method to work?

parkerskouson
February 26th, 2012, 06:34 AM
i just got it to work. it was the fact that i had 4 hdd connectied and it didnt know which one to boot to. Thanks so much for all of you help!!!!! saved my butt!!!!!!:guitar::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

HeroOfCanton
February 26th, 2012, 06:54 AM
i just got it to work. it was the fact that i had 4 hdd connectied and it didnt know which one to boot to. Thanks so much for all of you help!!!!! saved my butt!!!!!!:guitar::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hooray! Glad you finally got it. I kept privately thinking HDD since it installed okay, but with Windows working it didn't sit right in my mind. Didn't think about the possibility of 4 HDD's...

Should have, because my desktop has 2 SSD (one for the OS and one for misc tasks needing high rw speed like compiling programs or HD video) and two 1TB HDD's running in Win7 software RAID0. Glad to see I'm not the only one loading up a system with ridiculous configurations. :D

Don't forget to mark the thread solved.

parkerskouson
February 26th, 2012, 06:57 AM
U sure aren't. U guys r the best

enjoijesus94
February 27th, 2012, 02:41 AM
U sure aren't. U guys r the best

I Knew Something Wasnt Right.

Yes It Can DO That..

im so glad you got it working

and were just here to help no big deal welcome to linux my friend.:popcorn: