PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Idiots guide to Ubuntu networks required...

iangarforth
February 24th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Can anyone point me at a good 'Ubuntu networking for beginners' tutorial?

I want to buy a cheap box off eBay, and put Ubuntu Server on it, and play around. It's particularly in order to prepare me to try and integrate it into a Windows school network, so anything I can learn about users and privileges and what have you would be awesome.

That said, I'm not really at the 'command line mayhem' stage - so lots of pictures is good ;-)

Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers

roelforg
February 24th, 2012, 08:59 PM
The wiki should help you.

grahammechanical
February 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM
It is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that Ubuntu Server does not have a desktop user interface. The command-line interface is all you get. Yes, you can install a desktop GUI but servers are usually configured using the command-line.

Regards.

roelforg
February 24th, 2012, 09:07 PM
It is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that Ubuntu Server does not have a desktop user interface. The command-line interface is all you get. Yes, you can install a desktop GUI but servers are usually configured using the command-line.

Regards.
I use Ubuntu Server (installed LXDE FF and other apps on top of it but the only config progs i use are the ones autoinstalled, no *buntu-desktop packages or the like).
The cli gives much more power.

iangarforth
February 24th, 2012, 10:47 PM
The wiki should help you.

Do you think the Wiki is geared at beginners? I can't make head nor tail of it. There doesn't seem to even be any sort of navigation or contents page. Where do I start?

donkyhotay
February 25th, 2012, 12:10 AM
What's your familiarity with linux and ubuntu in general? I'd recommend being quite familiar with desktop ubuntu and at least comfortable with the CLI before diving right into server ubuntu. Ubuntu server is designed to be CLI only (though you can put a GUI on it) and using a GUI kind of defeats the purpose. Personally I went the other way to learn and made test/practice servers with regular desktop ubuntu (you can install the same services/software in the repos) so if I had a problem with CLI I could easily switch back to GUI for certain things (mostly reading forum posts on howto do things without switching to my other system). Eventually after enough reading as well as trial and error I eventually grew confident enough to do things the right way and installed ubuntu server. I learned quite a bit about doing things with the CLI along with general server admin. You can also try something like arch linux which will either teach you more then you ever wanted to know about linux or drive you stark raving mad.

SuaSwe
February 25th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I would say jumping into using CLI and getting familiar with it is a fine idea so long as you have a) a device to spare, e.g. it doesn't matter if you lose all data on it, and b) a lot of patience and willingness to learn. :D

When I initially configured my trusty server using 8.04 Server Edition, I followed this guide ("http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts"[/url) loosely and by researching the applications and functions as I went grew familiar with the system and its uses.

lisati
February 25th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Before you jump in and connect it to the school network, a basic familiarity with the CLI would be useful. While you're finding your way around, it would also be a good idea to think about what sort of things the school might want to use the server for: email, file storage for classes, and hosting internal website are just some of the things you'll be able to use the server for.

odycay
February 25th, 2012, 12:47 AM
what do you mean by "*buntu"
does that mean all types/versions/flavors (if you dont know i mean like ubuntu kbutntu .etc)

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 01:00 AM
what do you mean by "*buntu"
does that mean all types/versions/flavors (if you dont know i mean like ubuntu kbutntu .etc)
Yes, that is what it means.

iangarforth
February 25th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I'm familiar with the CLI. Thanks for the Sourceforge heads-up - that looks great.

Like you say, Lisati, I'm not connecting it to anything until I'm convinced I know what I'm doing. That's why I want to learn, play around and break stuff first.

Thanks all!

hop5uk
June 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I think that i am in a similiar position.I have been running Ubuntu with desktop since V10 and i soon discovered that the CLI was the way forward in order to get things done properly.Admittedly i only did really basic stuff and really the only things i did in CLI was learn to mount disks properly (fstab) and also use samba to share disks on my home network with Windows PCs.
I am now attempting a new 12.04 Server with CLI only and Raid and i must admit that i am close to being beat by it.I am determined to learn it but i do find iot so difficult to get good guides.