PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Netbeans or???

fkil
February 24th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Since a few days I am in the process of getting acquainted with ubuntu. Until now I did my java developments in Netbeans.
However, Netbeans can not be found in the software center. As I am always willing to switch to (better) alternatives, I was wondering what would be a comparable or even better application in Ubuntu.
Can someone give me advice?

ohadcn
February 24th, 2012, 05:39 PM
i am a java developer and i'm using eclipse

cortman
February 24th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I am a java dilettante, and I use Eclipse as well.

Rafterman414
February 24th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I used to use Netbeans but a few months ago I started using Eclipse and I like it. I don't do any professional work though most of what I do is for school.

If you want to keep using Netbeans though there is a download for linux at their website that comes in the form of a shell script with the program packaged into it. I used to use that and never had any problems getting it to run.

fcomstoc
February 24th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Did they remove it from the repo because when I used to program on linux i could just use:

sudo apt-get install netbeans

for it?

So I found the answer for myself, I just installed Ubuntu on my netbook again (I have been using it on my server only for a while) and apparently you cant install it in the terminal like I thought. I guess you have to download it from their website and install it that way.