PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there any consensus re: Ubuntu and battery life?

ToshibaLaptoplinux
February 24th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I have seen a number of threads addressing "issues" concerning battery life of laptops running Ubuntu.

My previous 2 laptops, Dell and Toshiba, both fried my battery running Ubuntu. "Fried" as in all of sudden they stopped taking a charge. It wasn't a coincidence and they were both brand new machines. After purchasing new replacement new batteries I always pulled them out and ran on AC as much a possible. At the time I was having this issue I posted on both the Forums and Launchpad. Why do I give this history?

I have just purchased a new Samsung i7/64bit and when running Win 7 get 7 hours of battery life but when running the live CD get less than 2 hours. I like Ubuntu enough that I can suffer the loss of battery time, but as this Laptop model doesn't have a removable battery, I can't afford to destroy the battery because it can only be replaced at the factory. This could really be a deal breaker for me as much as I like Ubuntu.

Has anyone else heard of or experienced a rapid decrease in battery life running Ubuntu? Note I am not talking about operating time on battery. Any ideas/advice?

ahallubuntu
February 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I've never heard of the idea that Linux or Ubuntu use can reduce the lifetime of a battery. That makes no sense to me. Anecdotes like "my battery failed after a year and I happened to be using Ubuntu" mean nothing. My Dell laptop in 2006 used XP and its battery died within the first year, too. Batteries can fail early, with any operating system.

FYI, I bought a new 9 cell battery for my current Dell Laptop a year and half ago, I use Ubuntu on it every day, and it's still holding nearly full charge now. (Batteries gradually lose their ability to hold charge with use and age.) I run on AC power about 2/3 of the time and drain the battery maybe a few hours a day. I never do anything special like remove the battery.

It is possible, though, that Ubuntu cannot provide the same "operating time" (battery life, in hours) that Windows 7 can, especially on newer hardware. I'm happy to get about four hours of battery life on my Dell, but it's an older generation CPU (Core 2 Duo) so should be well supported by now. Sandy Bridge might not be.

FYI, I'd expect a much reduced battery life ("operating time") when running the live CD vs. running off of a hard drive, so your 2 hour vs. 7 hour battery life comparison doesn't mean much to me.

ToshibaLaptoplinux
February 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I've never heard of the idea that Linux or Ubuntu use can reduce the lifetime of a battery. That makes no sense to me. Anecdotes like "my battery failed after a year and I happened to be using Ubuntu" mean nothing. My Dell laptop in 2006 used XP and its battery died within the first year, too. Batteries can fail early, with any operating system.

FYI, I bought a new 9 cell battery for my current Dell Laptop a year and half ago, I use Ubuntu on it every day, and it's still holding nearly full charge now. (Batteries gradually lose their ability to hold charge with use and age.) I run on AC power about 2/3 of the time and drain the battery maybe a few hours a day. I never do anything special like remove the battery.

It is possible, though, that Ubuntu cannot provide the same "operating time" (battery life, in hours) that Windows 7 can, especially on newer hardware. I'm happy to get about four hours of battery life on my Dell, but it's an older generation CPU (Core 2 Duo) so should be well supported by now. Sandy Bridge might not be.

FYI, I'd expect a much reduced battery life ("operating time") when running the live CD vs. running off of a hard drive, so your 2 hour vs. 7 hour battery life comparison doesn't mean much to me.

Thanks for the reply. There are a couple of points you make that I will address.

1) This isn't anecdotal. The batteries didn't take year(s), or months, or weeks to fail but days. 2 different laptops, both brand new. There are numerous threads on both Launchpad and on the forums discussing the battery issues and I believe there have even big bugs isolated and reported.

Yes those primarily have to do with operating time. However, there is generally also a contingent problem with the battery issue such as unacceptably high operating temps, fan issues, etc. which ALL can contribute to premature hardware failure, including the battery. So I wouldn't say it "means nothing":mad:

2) Yes I also expect reduced operating times but there is clearly a point at which a massive time reduction is not acceptable.

Maybe give this thread and it's corresponding links a read for starters.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1874306