PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Stubborn audio glitch - new computer

Rahsennor
February 24th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Hello all. :D

Using my new laptop - Samsung 305 series + Xubuntu 11.10 - for playing music and videos, I encounter a problem. There is an annoying digital-sounding squeal coming from the speakers at all times. Nothing I have tried has made any difference whatsoever, which includes:

Using a different media player: Parole, mplayer, audacity - the sound also persists when there is no audio playing at all.

Changing every volume-control and mute option I can find in xfce4-mixer and pavucontrol: the noise does not change volume with the audio.

Pulseaudio: The noise is not interrupted by pulsesudio -k.

Using a different output: Laptop speakers, headphone socket, USB soundcard and bluetooth A2DP all make the same noise.

The first three suggest a hardware fault, but the last one seems to rule that out. :confused: The noise is hard to notice in normal operation - but on soft songs, quiet movie scenes, or with software volume turned down for headphones, it becomes a serious PITA. :x Anyone else had a similar problem? Any hints on where to look/what to google?

Rahsennor
February 24th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Success! :popcorn:

I asked a technician, and he said it might be the power supply. Sure enough, I unplugged the AC adaptor and the noise vanished! The noise was in the power, not the data, so it affected anything powered by the laptop. Apparently my bluetooth reciever's powerpack has the same problem. :(

New problem: laptop battery only lasts 40 minutes... #-o

Hopefully my posting here isn't wasted, someone else might see the fault and the solution... how do I change the prefix to [SOLVED]?

Elfy
February 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Solved is in Thread Tools at the top :)

Thanks for coming back and adding your particular solution.