PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu for android

bjje
February 23rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know whether ubuntu for android will work on an ICS tablet as well as a phone? Is it just an android app that wjll run as long as you have the hadrware requirements?
Any date for release?

ajgreeny
February 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Have you seen this?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/21/ubuntu_for_android/

bjje
February 24th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I hadn't thanks!
I guess from this that there would need to be firmware that a typical tablet would not have.

grahammechanical
February 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM
And there is this:

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

When these devices are in production and for sale, you then buy the phone and get an Android phone that will switch to a Ubuntu OS when it is docked with a Monitor.

This is not something to download and install on other devices.

In future it may be possible to buy an Android tablet PC that is also a mobile phone and that will convert to a Ubuntu OS when docked with an external monitor. Or a Tablet PC without the mobile phone bit.

In future it may also be possible to buy a Ubuntu powered mobile phone that runs a Ubuntu desktop when docked with an external monitor. Or a Ubuntu powered tablet pc that runs a Ubuntu desktop when docked with an external monitor.

All these things are possible. This announcement and the forth coming demonstration of it working show the possibilities. It all depends on Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) being willing to produce the products.

At the moment we download Ubuntu and install it on our PCs. Very often there are not any problems but, as these forums show, some people have problems. None of these problems would be there if we were able to purchase Ubuntu PCs. The machine would work out of the box.

So, the intention with this concept is to have Ubuntu pre-installed as part of the manufacturing process and then the device will work out of the box. Allowing people to download something like this runs the risk that it fails to work and the person ends up with a broken mobile phone or tablet PC. And then who would they blame? Themselves?

Regards.

bjje
February 24th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Well, it would be better to convince manufacturers to fix up the details with Canonical and release products. I don't know if they think we're worth it otherwise they would be helping a little themselves. Until then at least ASUS has made a nice gesture and unlocked the transformer bootloader. Hopefully, they will do it for the MeMo as soon as it comes out and sure, if I brick a device I have nobody to blame but myself. That's fair and also prods me into learning more.

sola
April 15th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I believe this will need to be released by Canonical to the community just like normal Ubuntu.

I bet a lot of advanced Android/Ubuntu enthusiasts would put it on their tablets/phones because this is way superior to the chrooting solution you currently need to do to get an Ubuntu desktop on your Android tablet/phone.

Of course, there will be risks involved but hey, chrooting is also risky still a lot of people do it.