PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] basic learn

ramakanta
February 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
i am new to the linux .
kindly learn me the basic command line used in ubuntu in daily life with simple example as i am beginner. and learn the basic of ubuntu like wise basic in windows OS that i have learn in a institute.
thank you.

:confused:

Tony Flury
February 23rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
What do you actually think you need to do via the command terminal ? For the most part (assuming you have Ubuntu) most of what you need to do can be done via graphical tools.

If you want to use the command line - then Linux comes with man pages so you can type in :

man <command>

To get hold of the instruction manual for that command.

To my mind - initial useful commands are (in no particular order):

ls - list files in a directory
cd - Change current directory
cat - list contents of a file
mkdir - create a new directory
cp - copy a file from one place to another
mv - move a file
rm - remove a file/directory
grep - find stuff in one or more files
ps - see what processes are running
top - see what processes are using most cpu/memory
mount - connect to other file devices
gedit - Edit a text file
sudo - temporarily promote yourself to admin priveleges (so you can edit priveleged files - use with caution)
chmod - change the permission of a file (use with caution)

centaurusa
February 23rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
kindly learn me the basic command line used in ubuntu in daily life

I would suggest the Ubuntu manual "Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.10" as a starting point. This will provide a lot of basic information on how to use Ubuntu Linux.

See: http://ubuntu-manual.org/

cortman
February 23rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
If what you're asking for is resources to learn the GNU/Linux command line, the sticky thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909108) at the top of this forum should get you started.

sunfromhere
February 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM
If you're a beginner like me, I would suggest the following:

1. replacing GUI operations with command-line - f.e. a pop-up comes that updates are there, try to find out how to do that via terminal. Also, installing and removing programs.

2. basic computer maintenance and everyday usage - yes, you can mount a .iso via mouseclick, but try to command line it.

3. soon, you will find command line more intuitive, if you haven't upgraded your Firefox yet, do it. Act as if Software centre doesn't exist.

4. try to double boot, set up multiple users on multiple distros.*

5. Install Arch Linux (best if you have a google-able machine ready at hand). This step I would recommend even if you skip some others, as it gives you much valuable knowledge. But, first, back-up and read about partitioning.*

After step 5, Ubuntu will become daily cup of coffee ;)

*Don't do this step on the computer that is your family's only machine and you have valuable data. Back-up! Don't do this step if you cannot live without a working computer for a day or two.

ramakanta
February 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM
kindly learn some about graphical tools

ramakanta
February 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I would suggest the Ubuntu manual "Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.10" as a starting point. This will provide a lot of basic information on how to use Ubuntu Linux.

See: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
this is very useful links.
thanks for this link.

ramakanta
February 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
If what you're asking for is resources to learn the GNU/Linux command line, the sticky thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909108) at the top of this forum should get you started.
great .. thank you very much.

ramakanta
February 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
If you're a beginner like me, I would suggest the following:

1. replacing GUI operations with command-line - f.e. a pop-up comes that updates are there, try to find out how to do that via terminal. Also, installing and removing programs.

2. basic computer maintenance and everyday usage - yes, you can mount a .iso via mouseclick, but try to command line it.

3. soon, you will find command line more intuitive, if you haven't upgraded your Firefox yet, do it. Act as if Software centre doesn't exist.

4. try to double boot, set up multiple users on multiple distros.*

5. Install Arch Linux (best if you have a google-able machine ready at hand). This step I would recommend even if you skip some others, as it gives you much valuable knowledge. But, first, back-up and read about partitioning.*

After step 5, Ubuntu will become daily cup of coffee ;)

*Don't do this step on the computer that is your family's only machine and you have valuable data. Back-up! Don't do this step if you cannot live without a working computer for a day or two.
thanks.