PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can one turn off Unity and use Gnome in Oneiric 11.10 Ubuntu?

hanzj
February 23rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Hello,

On one computer, we plan on installing the latest version of Ubuntu, Oneiric Ocelot, 11.10. Can we turn off Unity and use Gnome instead?

raja.genupula
February 23rd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Yes you can use Gnome desktop automatically by installing Gnome 3 in your PC
Gnome 3 will provides you classic gnome and Gnome desktops . you can choose what kind of thing you want from the login screen .
look at this link http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/gnome-shell-ubuntu-11-10-guide/

it will help you .

All the best .

hanzj
February 23rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks. For some reason, I thought that Ubuntu forced the user to stick with Unity. Maybe that was an older version of Ubuntu.

raja.genupula
February 23rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks. For some reason, I thought that Ubuntu forced the user to stick with Unity. Maybe that was an older version of Ubuntu.

Welcome man ! But Unity also not bad . But i am not getting why some users dont like it .

i follow one point(sometimes ) : If you habituated to one thing which is difficult to you , you will never feel difficulty in that . Lol

but use that in life , because In Ubuntu you can do what ever you wanna do . so we have many options and choices . But in life we dont have na .

is there any thing else i can help you my friend .

cheers !

raja .

3rdalbum
February 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM

You probably thought that because a lot of people complained that Unity was the default in 11.04 and 11.10 - some of them ranted a bit about being "forced" to use Unity.

Every version of Ubuntu ever has had other desktops available.