PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Digitel Camera downloading pictures on computer

ian19jam
February 22nd, 2012, 08:29 PM
I have been to all sorts of various forums but nobody seems to come up with an answer. I ahve a Fuji Finepix s1600 digitel camera and I recently switvhed to using XUbuntu 11.10 version i138 iso from Ubuntu 10.4 LT;

The computer does not recognise that a camera has been plugged in using an USB plug. I tried using both programmed Camera and Gtkam Digetal camera Browser but none of these work! Please can can one suggest any ideas as to what I can do to down load my pictures from the camera. Thanks

wolfen69
February 22nd, 2012, 08:37 PM
A workaround that many people use, is to go to your local tech/office store and get a SD/microSD card adapter. It's just a tiny device that you put the card into and has a usb connector. It's then guaranteed to show up on your computer as a storage device. Then you can cut/copy/delete photos at will. Will probably cost around $10.

ian19jam
February 22nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thank you for your kind advice and will give this a try.I shall buy one tomorrow.

WinRiddance
February 22nd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Alright wolfen69, how about the following situation then ... ;)

I have a Nikon P100 that always worked fine via Gtcam and EOG. I'm also using Xubuntu 11.10 and ever since a recent upgrade (past 4 - 5 days) via the update manager, I'm getting ... "Could not initialize camera" ... message when I plug the camera into the USB port. It worked before, even with Xubuntu 11.10 and this problem is driving me batty since I use my camera at least twice per week for business purposes.

Any ideas other than using a memory card adapter to get things properly working again?
Thanks.

wolfen69
February 24th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Try using Gthumb and see if it sees the camera.

Gregory Lee
February 24th, 2012, 05:03 AM
I've used the application digiKam for several years to download, organize, display, and edit pictures. It has worked okay for me for downloading by USB from the 3 digital cameras I've had: a Kodak "Easyshare", Nikon D3100, and a Panasonic Lumix. It will download raw images from my Nikon. (It may be that the Shotwell program, which seems to be the default for Ubuntu, works equally well, but I haven't yet had a chance to try it.)