PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] replacing a laptop battery

errrn
February 22nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
hi everyone.

I have an acer 5740G, and the battery is almost dead, and I'm trying to find a replacement. The thing is, mine has a 10.8v voltage rating, and every battery that fits this model has a 11v rating or even more.

I've read that it actually is important, but I'm running out of options: either I buy it, or stay plugged to the wall.

where should I look?
thanks for any advice!

errrn
February 28th, 2012, 05:54 PM
bump!

ahallubuntu
February 28th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Look on eBay for a compatible battery. There are multiple vendors that sell new batteries. Just search for your model number and "battery." Read their return policies carefully and the warranty. I once bought a battery for my Dell laptop that didn't make a solid connection to the computer, but it had a 30 day return policy (I had to pay $2 to mail it back) and I got my money back. I bought another battery from a different vendor and it has worked great ever since.

10.8V and 11V are close enough. Don't worry about the voltage of the battery - laptop batteries are custom designs in most cases and are designed to work with specific laptops. There aren't going to be multiple voltage batteries for the same model. If it fits, it should work.

If there are long-life batteries available for your laptop, consider getting one if that matters to you. I bought a 9 cell for my dell instead of the standard 6 cell - that adds 50% to the battery life. Usually the bigger battery sticks out the back a little or even pops up the bottom, though, so check that out. I am OK with a battery that sticks out the back but not one that pops up the back of my laptop a half inch. It also makes the laptop a tad heavier.

errrn
March 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Hi! thanks for replying.

I'd buy it from ebay, of course, but I'll have to nail it in the first try as I'm not in the US - mailing it back would bring arguable results at least.

Good to know about the voltage - that was what worried me the most. But it's true, it is close enough.

Thanks again-
cheers

Manyette
March 8th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Another option would be to go to "Batteries Plus" if you have one in your area.

Sergius14
March 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Laptops, and most electronics (DC), have an input range which may vary and is ok while you are inside those parameters...

It is completely normal. For ex. standard AA batteries have 1.5 nominal, but in fact they are 1.8 o 1.9 full charge and 1.2/1.3 when depleted. Ni-Mh replacements are 1.2 nominal and varies from 1.3./1.4 to 1.1, and you use them in the same gadgets...

10.8 ~ 11.0 "is the same"

ahallubuntu
March 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Hi! thanks for replying.

I'd buy it from ebay, of course, but I'll have to nail it in the first try as I'm not in the US - mailing it back would bring arguable results at least.

You can buy batteries from vendors in Asia, too. Many of them offer free shipping to the US - perhaps they offer free shipping to wherever you are as well? It may take an extra few weeks for it to arrive, though. Perhaps shipping a battery back if need be might not cost as much as you think.

You could get a bad battery from any vendor, even if you pay top dollar, and need to ship it back if you ordered it online.

I guess you need to weigh your options pick the best for you. Ebay is still one good option.