PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with superusers right !!??

Maverick357
February 22nd, 2012, 06:40 PM
Hello everybody,

I have already a little knowledge with Linux (Fedora) i have used many months already.
But my pc is death somes months ago and i have buy a new pc with windows 7.
I am not happy with windows 7 because of to much instability and hardware not more usable because of no 64bits drivers exist.

I have installed the last version of ubuntu in a temp manner (ubuntu on windows 7) for testing and learning purpose, with in mind of quitting windows OS for ever.

I want to buy another hd for Linux before to install for ever and use it confortable and secure all the time.

But now i have a big problem with the right of SU in ubuntu.

I am trying to copy PS1Gfw.usb driver for my scanner but the OS say that i have not the right to do it ??
I have try with the command line and the GUI tools but it does not work.

After looking at my account, i have the SU right because i can create user account and install programs. I have 2 accounts, 1 in SU mode and 1 in user mode.
Passwords are boths correct.

My question is: What is the problem with ubuntu and how can i turn it around to have the correct rights (all right in SU mode) because without the right of creating/copy files i will not can do the basics things like installing my scanner.

oldos2er
February 22nd, 2012, 06:42 PM
Use 'sudo' instead of 'su', the root account is locked in Ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Maverick357
February 22nd, 2012, 11:52 PM
Thank you oldos2er,
i will try this tomorrow and thanks a lot for the link.
When i whas using Fedora Linux, i used my root account for config of hardware/software purpose only.
And with Ubuntu, i will never unlock the root account, i am just learning Linux seriously to get goods habits for security purpose.
I really want quit Windows OS for ever (and use it only for games maybe:P)

Thanks for your fast reply and good infos links:D