PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] rockmelt web browser???

RAJASD
February 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
i really loved it when i saw rockmelt web browser in my friend's windows laptop..i would love to have it in ubuntu..but sadly its only for win and mac..

do u guys have any idea when will they release a version for ubuntu??

and is there any look a like web browsers in ubuntu??

thanks..

dagroves
February 22nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
After searching the Internet, I found this official statement from the makers of RockMelt:

"At this time, RockMelt is only compatible with Intel Macs OS X 10. 5 or higher, Windows Xp, Vista, or Windows 7. For all other platforms (including Linux / Ubuntu), we have no date set for a release but we hope to be able to have one in the near future. The reason we can't just port RockMelt over to Linux is because a lot of our code is native to the operating system."

Hope that helps.

mihalybaci
February 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
You could try installing it with Wine, which is a windows emulator. But I would expect some diminished performance doing that so it might not be worth it.

RAJASD
February 22nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
After searching the Internet, I found this official statement from the makers of RockMelt:

"At this time, RockMelt is only compatible with Intel Macs OS X 10. 5 or higher, Windows Xp, Vista, or Windows 7. For all other platforms (including Linux / Ubuntu), we have no date set for a release but we hope to be able to have one in the near future. The reason we can't just port RockMelt over to Linux is because a lot of our code is native to the operating system."

Hope that helps.

Thanks bro...

You could try installing it with Wine, which is a windows emulator. But I would expect some diminished performance doing that so it might not be worth it.

yeah it doest work with wine..

RememberWhenItRained
February 22nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
haven't used Rockmelt before, but just taking a quick look, you should be fine with Chrome or Chromium, no? They have plenty of extensions for sharing, twitter, etc. that would make it more or less comparable, no? Or am i missing something Rockmelt is capable of?

RAJASD
February 22nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
yeah..rockmelt is derived from chrome..

dagroves
February 22nd, 2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks bro...

No problem!