PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What is SSH and do i need it?

EzioAuditore
February 22nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Well Hello everyone,

The title says it all. SSH to me is some sort of remote desktop connection type thing ( correct me if i'm wrong ).

Thing is, I don't do such stuffs and have no need of it. And the fact that its running at every system startup ( sshagent running in system monitor ) kind of bugs me as it poses potential security threats (i might be wrong though ).

What I just want is to completely disable it. Googled but didn't get any satisfactory result.

How do I go about it folks? Ubuntu 10.10 here.

Thanks.

cheatos
February 22nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Well, it isn't exactly a remote desktop, you just get a command-line of the machine you log in to.
It can be pretty useful though, if you want to download a large file from a computer or something.

I can't say anything about the security issues with ssh but I don't think they're very high as long as you have a good password.

If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

EzioAuditore
February 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Well thanks for the reply cheatos.

As i said, no current plans on using it. So, how to disable it?

roelforg
February 22nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
If you didn't instal sshd, it's already off.

Bachstelze
February 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
Thing is, I don't do such stuffs and have no need of it. And the fact that its running at every system startup ( sshagent running in system monitor ) kind of bugs me as it poses potential security threats (i might be wrong though ).

You are wrong, it does not pose any security threat.

EzioAuditore
February 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
If you didn't instal sshd, it's already off.

I didn't. Thanks you.:)

I thought there could be some vulnerability that could allow people to break into my system, well but that's wrong though. Thanks for the correction. ;)

I think this can be marked as 'SOLVED' now.

haqking
February 22nd, 2012, 03:52 PM

so you think that having a running remote administration tool such as SSH running when you dont need it is not a potential security issue then ?

Edit: i see it is just the agent running and not the server ;-)