PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Kubuntu new install, partition setup

meduser
February 21st, 2012, 10:44 PM
hi, I am installing a fresh copy of kubuntu 11.10. I am installing on a 250 gb hdd. I want to commit the whole drive to Kubuntu.

I have been told I need a root partition, a swap, and then make the rest a swap drive.

I am not sure how to do what with it. I have the drive empty, but it is not formatted. I am installing kubuntu 11.10 from usb stick.my drive is sitting in the prepare partitions as /dev/sdb free space 250059 mb.

Please, if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

forrestcupp
February 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM
I would just let the installation do it automatically. During the installation, it will automatically create a small swap partition, and another one for root and everything you need.

meduser
February 22nd, 2012, 12:01 AM
Hello, and thank you for the reply.

I had a thread going:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1928629

That is why I am looking for help on the partitioning and setup of Kubuntu. I want the home partition to have the majority of the free space, with the root partition only being 30gb's. I also need to know how big to make the swap partition, as last time I made it 70gbs...oops.

I have 4gbs of ram, an empty 250 gb hdd, that had all the other partitions deleted. I want this to run clean, stable, and I don't want to be running out of room on the home directory.

forrestcupp
February 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
That is why I am looking for help on the partitioning and setup of Kubuntu. I want the home partition to have the majority of the free space, with the root partition only being 30gb's. I also need to know how big to make the swap partition, as last time I made it 70gbs...oops.

I have 4gbs of ram, an empty 250 gb hdd, that had all the other partitions deleted. I want this to run clean, stable, and I don't want to be running out of room on the home directory.

Well, if you want to manually set it up, they recommend that the swap partition be a minimum of how much RAM you have, but preferably double. So, if you feel that you can spare it, you would make a swap partition of 8GB, your '/' root partition of 30GB, then create a partition out of the rest of the unallocated space and mount it as /home.

If Kubuntu's setup is like Ubuntu's, then on the screen where you can choose to let the setup automatically do the partitioning, you would choose the option that says something like "Do something else". From there you can delete all the partitions, create new ones, including swap, out of the unallocated space, and mount them as '/' and '/home'.

mastablasta
February 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
Again if you don't knwo how to partition - the easiest way is still to do it automatic install and then create a separate home partition:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving

another option is to simply create a separate parittion let's call it data and then when you download you just tell the progs to download there instead of to /home/download