PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't open 'Places' folders.

backflip
February 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM
ubuntu 10.10
I was using calibre and now I can't open any folders in 'Places,' Home Folder, Documents, Music, Pictures etc. I get a box informing me 'No application is registered as handling this file.'
I can access by opening nautilus in terminal. I then tried right clicking and choosing 'open with other application' and opting for 'file browser' from the list, but that didn't work.
Thanks for any help.

SlugSlug
February 21st, 2012, 06:26 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1631961

backflip
February 21st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks, I tried the suggestions in that thread but they didn't work. Everything opens OK with nautilus and I put a shortcut of the file browser on the desktop and that opens the 'Places' folders fine. It's just when I go to 'Places' and then try and open a folder from the dropdown menu that the problem starts.

thirnick
February 21st, 2012, 09:43 PM
try the trash bin its also a browser

JC Cheloven
February 22nd, 2012, 12:48 AM
Mmm... the thread is tagged as LUbuntu, but you talk about Nautilus, places&folders... you should be on pcmanfm (not nautilus) if you were using lubuntu.
Perhaps is there any history of desktops installations in your system that is worth to mention?

(side note: calibre works fine for me on lubuntu 11.04)

backflip
February 22nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Sorry, I didn't notice Lubuntu in the heading.
It is definitely Ubuntu 10.10 as I noted at the start of my first post.
I've put a launcher for the file browser in the panel and that works OK. The dropdown menu under 'Places' still shows all the various folders but won't open any 'not registered to open.'
Thanks for any ideas.

Krytarik
February 22nd, 2012, 07:45 PM
The dropdown menu under 'Places' still shows all the various folders but won't open any 'not registered to open.'
As a follow-up on SlugSlug's suggestion, please post the content of your "~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" (Notice: yours, not root's! So don't use "gksudo" or "sudo" for that; just open it with your text editor.)

Regards.

backflip
February 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
As a follow-up on SlugSlug's suggestion, please post the content of your "~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" (Notice: yours, not root's! So don't use "gksudo" or "sudo" for that; just open it with your text editor.)

Regards.

Sorry I took so long, but is this what you want?

[Added Associations]
audio/mpeg=vlc.desktop;
application/pdf=userapp-FoxitReaderPortable.exe-RVCGVV.desktop;evince.desktop;
application/x-sqlite3=wine-extension-jfif.desktop;
application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop;file-roller.desktop;userapp-wine-Y0UIVV.desktop;
audio/x-wav=rhythmbox.desktop;

[Removed Associations]
audio/mpeg=userapp-promoe-2Q76KV.desktop;userapp-xmms2-A29ILV.desktop;
application/pdf=userapp-Foxit Reader.exe-N103PV.desktop;userapp-Foxit Reader.exe-0CEIQV.desktop;userapp-FoxitReaderPortable.exe-4AZ0PV.desktop;userapp-FoxitReaderPortable.exe-BC8PLV.desktop;userapp-Foxit Reader.exe-9U22LV.desktop;userapp-Foxit Reader.exe-Y6CVLV.desktop;wine-extension-pdf.desktop;

[Default Applications]
text/html=chromium-browser.desktop

I can't see anything similar to what Slug Slug suggested.

Thanks

nothingspecial
February 23rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Sorry, I didn't notice Lubuntu in the heading.
It is definitely Ubuntu 10.10 as I noted at the start of my first post.

Fixed :)

backflip
February 23rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Fixed :)

Thanks for that, I tried, but couldn't see how I could change the heading.

Krytarik
February 23rd, 2012, 09:28 PM
Sorry I took so long, but is this what you want?
No worries, it's well under the 'late response' threshold. ;-) - Yup, exactly, thanks.

I can't see anything similar to what Slug Slug suggested.
Yeah, me neither. Please check if the issue is also present in the "Guest Session" or a newly, fresh user account. Also, do you possibly have XFCE installed additionally, side-by-side?

backflip
February 24th, 2012, 10:12 AM
XFCE not installed and no guest sessions etc.

Many thanks.