PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to run Ubuntu from disk

RedNinja
February 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
I'm running ubuntu from disk in an attempt to get time files off a dell laptop I'm having issues with. However, when I start up the os all I see is a desktop and clicking, right clicking, or pressing any number of buttons does nothing. After closing the lid and coming back to it later, 4 firmware warn messages come up ([Firmware Warn]: MTRR: CPU 0: SYSCFG[MtrrFixDramModEn] not cleared by BIOS, clearing this bit), and so does "ata1: soft reset failed (device not ready)" I'm hoping this is a symptom of the problem with the computer I've been having all along, and is therefore solvable, but I'm worried that if I can't even get ubuntu to run, I'm basically up a creek and it's over my head with swill. Any help will be met with nauseating amounts of appreciation.

roelforg
February 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'm running ubuntu from disk in an attempt to get time files off a dell laptop I'm having issues with. However, when I start up the os all I see is a desktop and clicking, right clicking, or pressing any number of buttons does nothing. After closing the lid and coming back to it later, 4 firmware warn messages come up ([Firmware Warn]: MTRR: CPU 0: SYSCFG[MtrrFixDramModEn] not cleared by BIOS, clearing this bit), and so does "ata1: soft reset failed (device not ready)" I'm hoping this is a symptom of the problem with the computer I've been having all along, and is therefore solvable, but I'm worried that if I can't even get ubuntu to run, I'm basically up a creek and it's over my head with swill. Any help will be met with nauseating amounts of appreciation.
The ata message shouldn't cause this, as you say you're running from livecd.
The SYSCFG message leads me to believe there might be a ram problem, i'd try running a memcheck, google it for instructions.