PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to Save & Exit sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces

RyujiOtogi
February 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM
'Ello. I'm a helpless Linux noob in desperate need of some common sense here. :confused:

I'm running Ubuntu Server 11.10 x64 bit using VirtualBox on my Mac OS X Lion. I'm trying to change my DHCP to a Static IP address, so I typed sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces as an internet How-To instructed me. I've got two questions:

1) The How-To says to change "iface eth0 inet dhcp" to "iface eth0 inet static", which is easy enough. Then it says I've got to enter my address, netmask, network, broadcast, and gateway values. I can see what the address, netmask, and network values are in OS X Lion: System Preferences-->Internet & Wireless-->Network-->Advanced-->TCP/IP.

But I don't know what to enter for broadcast and gateway, if those are necessary. If I must, how I do find out those addresses? I suppose you may need have OS X to help me out here.

2) Ok, so this is what's really frustrating me. The How-To's I've been reading simply say to save and exit the network configuration settings in "sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces" discussed above, while moving on to the next step. Since Google hasn't helped (at all) in discovering HOW TO save or even exit 'sudo vi', I presume only the stupidest n00b on the face of the planet would have to ask. Well, that's me. I've hit the enter button after making the changes, hit ESC, tried sudo exit commands, and basically went crazy all over my keyboard in a vain and pitiful attempt just to exit the freakin' 'sudo vi' configurations. I've had to power off my virtual machine to reboot, and try again with just as much [un]success.

I've come here because no amount of Googling has helped me. So please Ubuntu community, if you could help get this n00b's face out of his butt you would make someone really happy. :P

prshah
February 21st, 2012, 08:15 AM
But I don't know what to enter for broadcast and gateway, if those are necessary. If I must, how I do find out those addresses? I suppose you may need have OS X to help me out here.

HOW TO save or even exit 'sudo vi',

To answer in reverse order:

In vi(m), use ":" to bring up the command line. You can then use the single letter command w(rite) and q(quit) and enter. You can use them singly or combined, ie, "wq" to write and quit. Additional useful command include "!" (for abandon) eg, "q!" will quit abandoning changes. Please do not include the double quotes ("") shown when issuing your commands.

Gateway is required to connect to the Internet. You can ignore broadcast safely.

Gateway will typically (for most home users) be the same as the router address (ususally, 192.168.1.1). This is also sometimes called the "Default route".

Hope this helps.

bab1
February 21st, 2012, 08:26 AM
'Ello. I'm a helpless Linux noob in desperate need of some common sense here. :confused:

I'm running Ubuntu Server 11.10 x64 bit using VirtualBox on my Mac OS X Lion. I'm trying to change my DHCP to a Static IP address, so I typed sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces as an internet How-To instructed me. I've got two questions:

1) The How-To says to change "iface eth0 inet dhcp" to "iface eth0 inet static", which is easy enough. Then it says I've got to enter my address, netmask, network, broadcast, and gateway values. I can see what the address, netmask, and network values are in OS X Lion: System Preferences-->Internet & Wireless-->Network-->Advanced-->TCP/IP.

2) Ok, so this is what's really frustrating me. The How-To's I've been reading simply say to save and exit the network configuration settings in "sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces" discussed above, while moving on to the next step. Since Google hasn't helped (at all) in discovering HOW TO save or even exit 'sudo vi', I presume only the stupidest n00b on the face of the planet would have to ask. Well, that's me. I've hit the enter button after making the changes, hit ESC, tried sudo exit commands, and basically went crazy all over my keyboard in a vain and pitiful attempt just to exit the freakin' 'sudo vi' configurations. I've had to power off my virtual machine to reboot, and try again with just as much [un]success.

I've come here because no amount of Googling has helped me. So please Ubuntu community, if you could help get this n00b's face out of his butt you would make someone really happy. :P

To make it a little simpler, just substitute nano for vi The commands are listed at the bottom of the screen. The command would be
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Elfy
February 21st, 2012, 08:40 AM
To make it a little simpler, just substitute nano for vi The commands are listed at the bottom of the screen. The command would be
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Then

Ctrl+O to save

Ctrl+X to exit

Banner at the bottom of the terminal shows commands.

If you know you want to save it then Ctrl+X will prompt for a save before exit if it has not been saved.

If you run

sudo nano -B /file/path

it will also create a backup for you.

RyujiOtogi
February 21st, 2012, 09:06 AM
Ah, thank you! Being able to use the command line again was a huge help. :)

thirnick
February 21st, 2012, 09:06 AM
a program call netstat might be useful

netstat -r /routing table

netstat -i /interface table