PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The best graphic card?

ronpetit
February 20th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Hello, i got a Dell inspiron mini with a Intel GMA500 Poulsbo, that is not supported well by ubuntu, so some things like games, videos etc etc not run well too, i install a pack for a better functionality of my system, it is more usefull now but i want more, so i want buy another graphic card, what card would be the best or will really work fine?

wolfen69
February 20th, 2012, 03:56 AM
There really is no practical way to upgrade a video card in a mini laptop. I suggest installing a lighter version of ubuntu called Lubuntu (http://lubuntu.net/).

ronpetit
February 20th, 2012, 04:00 AM
There really is no practical way to upgrade a video card in a mini laptop. I suggest installing a lighter version of ubuntu called Lubuntu (http://lubuntu.net/).

mate i want buy another video card, not upgrade it hehe, for that i ask what are the best video cards for ubuntu

wolfen69
February 20th, 2012, 04:09 AM
You are running a laptop, right? How do you plan on replacing your current card with a new one? Video cards in laptops are generally soldered to the motherboard.

ahallubuntu
February 20th, 2012, 04:13 AM
I have an Acer netbook with this same Intel Poulsbo GMA 500 integrated graphics. Yes, I too have struggled with Ubuntu support. No, it is not really practical to upgrade or replace the graphics card in one of these things. Just buy a new laptop if you can't put up with the Linux experience on it or stick to Windows. I like my Acer, but I'm planning to replace it pretty soon with something that plays better with Linux.

ronpetit
February 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM
oh, so i can't remplace it, i thing that i will sold my laptop and buy a new one, thanks for all

Jezzze
February 20th, 2012, 04:59 PM
What would be a recommended graphics card for a PC then, when we talk about Nvdia cards. I will most likely upgrade my graphics card in the future, and I would like to know what brand or type of card would perform best on Linux Ubuntu.

wolfen69
February 20th, 2012, 05:02 PM
What would be a recommended graphics card for a PC then, when we talk about Nvdia cards. I will most likely upgrade my graphics card in the future, and I would like to know what brand or type of card would perform best on Linux Ubuntu.

If you don't need top of the line, any GT400 or GT500 series card is a good choice. You'll get good performance at a reasonable price.

Jezzze
February 20th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks, I thought to myself, if I would buy a new card, I better buy a card that would be best supported by Linux. Currently using an ATI Radeon card, support of Linux could be better in my opinion.