PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.10 Atheros AR9285 - Drops Connection & Very Slow

UnknownFearNG
February 16th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Hello all. I got a new Acer Aspire 5250 laptop with an Atheros AR9285 wireless card. I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and then the full 11.10 update along with all the updates and I notice, whenever I connect to the Internet from home, it disconnects after a few minutes and reconnects. I also noticed it wasn't that fast, compared to my Windows 7 partition anyways. I've been reading of fixes and other tweaks, but none as helped me and I've been trying to get this to work since 1:30 AM yesterday with no success. Can anyone help me out? I am at my school and I can connect to the wireless perfectly fine and it does not disconnect.

Thanks for any help that anyone gives me.

wolfen69
February 17th, 2012, 02:27 AM
I believe you would have been better served using the 11.10 disc for install instead of upgrading from 11.04. Can you get an 11.10 disc and try the live cd? If that works OK, you have your answer. Sometimes upgrades don't go well.

UnknownFearNG
February 17th, 2012, 02:40 AM
I believe you would have been better served using the 11.10 disc for install instead of upgrading from 11.04. Can you get an 11.10 disc and try the live cd? If that works OK, you have your answer. Sometimes upgrades don't go well.

It still did it in Ubuntu 10.04, but I'll give a 11.10 LiveCD a try.

UnknownFearNG
February 17th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I'm currently installing Ubuntu 11.10 and it seems to be done installing, but it is taking a really long time. Also it disconnected from the internet twice in the passed 30 seconds :/. Not sure if this is going to fix the problem or not.

wolfen69
February 17th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Your problem was solved here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1866335) for a couple of people. Let us know how it goes.

UnknownFearNG
February 17th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Your problem was solved here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1866335) for a couple of people. Let us know how it goes.

That did it! My connection is now stable and it doesn't disconnect, which is awesome!!

However, I notice my download speed is rather slow compared to Windows. Any way of boosting the speed?

I2k4
February 17th, 2012, 11:54 PM
There is a famous problem with Atheros wi-fi cards on Acer netbooks, where the "power saving" setting can affect performance - I can't say I know anything about fixing it on Ubuntu, but suggest completely disabling it on Windows using the Device Manager. Having done that, I don't experience any difference between internet performance on Linux and Windows.

UnknownFearNG
February 18th, 2012, 01:55 AM
There is a famous problem with Atheros wi-fi cards on Acer netbooks, where the "power saving" setting can affect performance - I can't say I know anything about fixing it on Ubuntu, but suggest completely disabling it on Windows using the Device Manager. Having done that, I don't experience any difference between internet performance on Linux and Windows.

I always have it set to "Balanced" in Windows. But ya, just like you, have no idea how to disable it in Linux. It's only the download speed, so browsing web sites seems to be pretty fast.