PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] iostream not found

jldoll
February 16th, 2012, 04:57 AM
I'm trying to compile a c++ program with g++. I've found several search results that show how to use -I, but this isn't working for me. My command is g++ -I /usr/include/c++/4.6 /home/john/Ubuntu\ One/MIT\ 6.096/helloWorld.cpp

The error /home/john/Ubuntu One/MIT 6.096/helloWorld.cc:1:24: fatal error: iostream : No such file or directory

The file iostream is in two directories: /usr/include/c++/4.6 and /usr/include/c++/4.6.1

I've tried using both paths with the -I option.

I've also tried moving iostream to several locations suggested to be default search paths in other posts. Removing from those locations when it didn't work.

I noticed when I posted the font changed. I am using -I (capital i).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

muteXe
February 16th, 2012, 09:14 AM
what's the code look like?

Simple Name
February 16th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Is your syntax ok ?

#include <iostream>

r-senior
February 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Why does your error refer to .cc when you are compiling .cpp?

If you have the development libraries installed, a hello world in C++ should just work. No need to specify location of standard includes:

$ cat hello.cpp
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello" << std::endl;
}
$ g++ -o hello hello.cpp
$ ./hello
Hello

If it doesn't work, check the paths that gcc is searching for includes (the quotes are backticks - `):

`gcc -print-prog-name=cc1plus` -v

Hit Ctrl-C when it's shown the include paths and post the output.

jldoll
February 17th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Thanks r-senior. I copied and pasted your code and it worked. So I took a close look at mine. Apparently you can't have spaces between the angle brackets < iostream >. It was subtle in the font I was using, but when I remove the space everything worked as expected.