PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compatible Motherboards

rjp1267
February 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I am building a mini-itx system for my home entertainment center and am looking for a MOBO that is compatible with Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular. I was focusing on a new asus board that came out but Asus' poor customer and Linux support has caused me to step back and evaluate my choices. I can go with the Windows Media OS but prefer Linux instead. Board must support FM1 socket....Any suggestions?

PS.. I am looking at the Asus F1A75-I DELUXE, I did a search and it seems that some people have done an install using this MOBO so I would be very interested in knowing what would be involved in getting this board to work with Ubuntu. I hate Asus support but they do have some great hardware.

ahallubuntu
February 15th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Focus on the chipset, not the motherboard, to ensure compatibility. Asus doesn't make the chipset; the same chipset is used by other motherboard manufacturers.

I am not familiar with this Asus board you mention or its chipset, but it was easy to dig up reviews. I found a link to its NewEgg page:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131789

First reviewer says, "Getting it to work with linux was a pain." though he doesn't mention which distro or what problems he had - but that isn't a great sign. We see from the Newegg page that it uses an AMD A75 chipset. Google for "AMD A75 Ubuntu" turns up a thread here from last year (current through last month):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1800773

about a Gigabyte board that uses the same chipset. Doesn't sound encouraging.

rjp1267
February 15th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Great feedback, the chipset on the Asus F1A75-I Deluxe is AMD A75 (Hudson D3), sounds like from a search I did here that there was another person setting this up so I will try and see what additional feedback they may have. If there are any suggestions on the chipset and how to get it to work that would be great. I am considering at this point doing a dual boot with Windows Media Center OS and Ubuntu so I can at least use the system while working out any bugs with the linux install.