PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need some help understanding instances in Python classes

Kimm
February 15th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Hello again everyone!

I've started learning Python and don't quite understand how Classes in Python work. For example, I have a class that handles writing to .CSV-files and I want to create several instances of it that handles different data-sets. This is my "Writer" code:

class CSV:
csvFile = [];

def Write(self, row, column, text):
while len(self.csvFile) <= row:
self.csvFile.append('');

while len(self.csvFile[row].split(';')) <= column:
self.csvFile[row] += ';';

new = self.csvFile[row].split(';');

new[column] = text;

self.csvFile[row] = ';'.join(new);

def Save(self, filename):
text_file = open(filename, 'w');

for s in self.csvFile:
text_file.write(s+'\n');

text_file.close();

I can only assume that I am using "self" incorrectly, but I'm having some issue finding a clear explanation of how to handle this. Now, I have created three instances of this class and am trying to write data to three different files, for example:

pop_writer = CSV();
age_writer = CSV();
gen_writer = CSV();

age_writer.Write(0,0,str(<average age>));
gen_writer.Write(0,0,str(<proportion of females>));
pop_writer.Write(0,0,str(<population size>));

age_writer.Save('test.csv');
gen_writer.Save('test2.csv');
pop_writer.Save('test3.csv');

Now, the problem is (as you can probably imagine), all three files are identical because it seems all of my declarations write to the same instance of the class.

I can only imagine that I am referencing the instance wrong inside the class! But I cant find any clear description of how this works.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Tony Flury
February 15th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hello again everyone!

I've started learning Python and don't quite understand how Classes in Python work. For example, I have a class that handles writing to .CSV-files and I want to create several instances of it that handles different data-sets. This is my "Writer" code:

class CSV:
csvFile = [];

..... rest of code snipped for brevity ....

Now, the problem is (as you can probably imagine), all three files are identical because it seems all of my declarations write to the same instance of the class.

I can only imagine that I am referencing the instance wrong inside the class! But I cant find any clear description of how this works.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Your declaration of

csvFile = [];

Declares it as a class variable - and therefore all instances share the same data. Since you want this to be an instance variable, I would remove that line and include the following in your class definition :

def __init__( self ):
self.csvFile=[]

This creates csvFile as an instance variable/attrribute - and your code should work as intended.

class a:
data = []
def append( self, var ):
self.data.append( var )
def write(self):
for i in self.data:
print i

class b:
def __init__(self):
self.data = []
def append( self, var ):
self.data.append( var )
def write(self):
for i in self.data:
print i

print "Class variable"
a1,a2 = a(), a()
a1.append("apples")
a2.append("pears")
a1.write()
a2.write()
print "Instance Variables"
b1, b2 = b(), b()
b1.append("bears")
b2.append("beer")
b1.write()
b2.write()

Code snippet demonstrates the differences.

Kimm
February 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Thank you very much! This did indeed solve it :D