PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Hoary

techn9ne
March 11th, 2005, 05:36 AM
I want to upgrade to hoary. Is there any scripts I have to run or anything special I have to do?

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I want to upgrade to hoary. Is there any scripts I have to run or anything special I have to do?
http://ubuntuguide.org/#upgradewartytohoary

techn9ne
March 11th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Well I'm specifically talking about the backports. Will they mess up the upgrade in any way?

panickedthumb
March 11th, 2005, 06:00 AM
the SAFE way to do it is to uninstall all the backports you've installed, reinstalling them with the Warty versions, if applicable, and then dist-upgrading. When I did it, however, I saw no problems.

techn9ne
March 11th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Well the backports were mostly trivial stuff like beep, firefox and gaim. So if they break thats ok I can fix them individually.

I tried the preview cd and was impressed so I'm gonna upgrade tonight. I'll post here any problems I encounter.

jsgotangco
March 11th, 2005, 08:38 AM
I upgraded to Hoary today via dist-upgrade (after changing my sources). No problems so far with regards to backports. It actually is worth upgrading. Gnome 2.10 & X.org is lightning fast. Everything just worked (including the wlan) with the exception of the problem I encoutered with XMMS (freezes when playing an mp3).

ubuntu_demon
March 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I upgraded to Hoary today via dist-upgrade (after changing my sources). No problems so far with regards to backports. It actually is worth upgrading. Gnome 2.10 & X.org is lightning fast. Everything just worked (including the wlan) with the exception of the problem I encoutered with XMMS (freezes when playing an mp3).
change xmms to esd instead of oss :)

jsgotangco
March 11th, 2005, 10:00 AM
yeah I was about edit the post until you replied. it now works fine but i went back to using mpg321 :)

jdong
March 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I've upgraded at least 5 Backports boxes to Hoary, and I've yet to see any problem. Warty's Synaptic seems to stick, though, but without any adverse side effects.

RastaMahata
March 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I have only used the backports to "upgrade" my system in warty. Should I just remove the repositories from /etc/apt/sources.list, then do apt-get update, upgrade, and that will remove the things I installed from the repos?
And THEN I should update the repositories to upgrade to Warty? I'm confused, and now I think the backports could break my installation! :(

jdong
March 11th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Change all instances of warty to hoary, including warty-backports to hoary-backports. You'll be set.

techn9ne
March 11th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Problem... I don't think it has to do with backports though.

I'm stuck halfway through the upgrade with a package conflict

libgtksourceview is conflicing w/ libgtksourceview-cli over a file they both use.

Its stuck. Ive tried forcing it. I cant remove the packages 'cause they have so many dependencies.

Any ideas before I have to fresh install?

#-o

jdong
March 11th, 2005, 11:05 PM
This sounds extremely familiar... did I not just answer a similar question?

Find the name of the .deb file from the error output -- it should start with "/var/cache/apt", then, run dpkg -i --force-all FULL_PATH_TO_PACKAGE.deb.

This isn't really a backports-specific issue -- Firefox and lots of KDE packages cause this error, too, during big updates.

techn9ne
March 13th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Got past that part, upgrade went ok. I had a kernel panic and a bunch of errors so I ended up just backing everything up and reinstalling hoary preview from cd.

dcstar
March 13th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Does anybody know how much free disk space is required for the upgrade from Warty?

I only had a small partition for my initial install.

ubuntu_demon
March 13th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Does anybody know how much free disk space is required for the upgrade from Warty?

I only had a small partition for my initial install.
at least 500 mb if you do it with dist-upgrade(maybe more). You can offcourse upgrade things seperately but then you increase the risk of dependencies-hell.

jdong
March 13th, 2005, 04:05 PM
When you type in "apt-get dist-upgrade", it'll say "Need to fetch X MB of archives". You need X MB, plus an extra 100MB or so of buffer room.

If you don't have that much, I strongly urge that you get a external drive (or mount a Samba share) over /var/cache/apt, as that's the big space hog.

dcstar
March 15th, 2005, 08:38 AM
When you type in "apt-get dist-upgrade", it'll say "Need to fetch X MB of archives". You need X MB, plus an extra 100MB or so of buffer room.

If you don't have that much, I strongly urge that you get a external drive (or mount a Samba share) over /var/cache/apt, as that's the big space hog.
Thanks for the info, I might wait until the Hoary CD ships and use that to do the upgrade (on the assumption that it can be done that way...........).

ubuntu_demon
March 15th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info, I might wait until the Hoary CD ships and use that to do the upgrade (on the assumption that it can be done that way...........).
you can also download the cd now and upgrade that way ... and after that upgrade with the internet. But then you need the room to download the cd ... but maybe someone else can do it for you.

dcstar
March 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM
you can also download the cd now and upgrade that way ... and after that upgrade with the internet. But then you need the room to download the cd ... but maybe someone else can do it for you.
I do have space on a mounted Windows partition, but I don't have enough quota on my Internet connection at the moment.......

I'll wait, I want to pass on some Ubuntu CD's to some friends anyway.

johndoe
March 17th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Problem... I don't think it has to do with backports though.

I'm stuck halfway through the upgrade with a package conflict

libgtksourceview is conhttp://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=91343#flicing w/ libgtksourceview-cli over a file they both use.

Its stuck. Ive tried forcing it. I cant remove the packages 'cause they have so many dependencies.

Any ideas before I have to fresh install?

#-o

Sure, I had the same thing. Try removing monodevelop (which is the only app I know of which triggers this dependancy in warty and the conflict when you have backports included).

apt-get remove monodevelop

Then try it again.