PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 server wanting to deploy firefox-locale-en

mdlueck
February 6th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I heard some bit of news that Ubuntu changed something about what Firefox they distribute.

Shortly all of my 10.04 servers were requesting:

firefox-locale-en 10.0+build1-0ubuntu0.10.04.2

Why in the world did Ubuntu automatically chain on a graphical web browser to Ubuntu Server edition?

collisionystm
February 6th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I heard some bit of news that Ubuntu changed something about what Firefox they distribute.

Shortly all of my 10.04 servers were requesting:

firefox-locale-en 10.0+build1-0ubuntu0.10.04.2

Why in the world did Ubuntu automatically chain on a graphical web browser to Ubuntu Server edition?

Its not the actual firefox browser

Its a language/location file for firefox. Why its there, I dont know but its harmless.

arrrghhh
February 6th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Do you have Firefox installed at all...?

I am on 10.04 server, and I don't believe I have any firefox related packages installed... Going to look now.

Edit, just saw the previous post. Hum! That's strange... I know you say it's harmless, but I would also like to know why it's getting installed on the Server Edition.

Edit2 - Now I'm just confused. I did a
dpkg --get-selections |grep fire and it came up with nothing... :confused:

mdlueck
February 6th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Found where it is coming from...

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/language-pack-en-base

Listed as a recommended package. I will try to unselect it.

arrrghhh
February 6th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Found where it is coming from...

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/language-pack-en-base

Listed as a recommended package. I will try to unselect it.

Ah, I don't have language-pack-en-base installed...

What would you even need this package for? Seems like translations for... English? lol.

mdlueck
February 6th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I successfully marked the firefox-locale-en package as purge to stop it from wanting to install. We shall see if it wants to come back or not.

I meant mark the firefox-local-en package as purge, not the entire English translation! :-)

whatthecrap
April 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM
You can also use the --no-install-recommends (apt-get) or --without-recommends (aptitude) flag to prevent recommended packages from being treated as dependencies.