PDA

View Full Version : [other] Lightweight ubuntu server desktop

Robert Moyse
February 5th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I was wondering how I would create a normal GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Blackbox or Fluxbox desktop with nothing on it (software to be of my choice, not the ubuntu team's) with a standard installation of Ubuntu server, e.g. have an empty install of gnome, and fine-tune every bit of software in the system.

ajgreeny
February 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I was wondering how I would create a normal GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Blackbox or Fluxbox desktop with nothing on it (software to be of my choice, not the ubuntu team's) with a standard installation of Ubuntu server, e.g. have an empty install of gnome, and fine-tune every bit of software in the system.
Don't go for the server system but preferably the Minimal Install CD https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD. You can then choose what you want on the system.

josephmills
February 5th, 2012, 06:14 PM
there is also "core"

sudo apt-get install lxde-core
is one there are also Other light-weight ones out there that are old but work great. like fvm IceWm ect. Hope that this helps

arrrghhh
February 6th, 2012, 05:18 PM
there is also "core"

sudo apt-get install lxde-core
is one there are also Other light-weight ones out there that are old but work great. like fvm IceWm ect. Hope that this helps

This ^^.

Also, most that run servers do so GUI-less, because it's much easier to maintain package-management-wise. Plus, it's much leaner. If you truly want lightweight, run without a DE.

If you find yourself *needing* a DE, go for the minimal install and add whatever DE you want. Do not go for the server install tho. Fitting a square peg into a round hole if you put a DE on top of the server edition ;).

collisionystm
February 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM
If you want really light, just install Ubuntu Server and use Byobu