PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu won't install

sophie2cu2
February 5th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Hi everybody,

I've been using Wubi in Windows for a while. As it's a bit clunky, I decided to do the full Ubuntu install and get rid of Windows completely.

Can't do it. Prepared a CD and rebooted my PC. Once I get past an initial purple screen with a couple of little images at the bottom, all I get is a screen of garbage (well, it is for me as I know nothing about computers).

Here's an example of what I get:

[ 4.989652] [<c152cfcf>] ? error_code+0x67/0x6c
[ 4.989700] [<c128683b>] ? vsnprintf+0x2eb/0x390

etc, etc, etc. There are about 20 lines of this stuff and it seems to stop once the screen is full.

Can anybody help? I really would like to get rid of Windows.

Many thanks,
Sophie

QIII
February 5th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Did you check the md5sum against what is given where you downloaded the image? That would be something to check right up front -- make sure your image is good. That may not be it at all, but we can start there.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

sophie2cu2
March 23rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hi QIII,

I tried to check the md5sum but didn't get very far. The instructions seem to assume that Ubuntu is already installed. They don't seem to work in Windows. Also, as a complete beginner, I'm finding the instructions a bit hard to get through.

Sorry for the delay in replying - lots of other work.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
S

bfmetcalf
March 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
To check the MD5 in windows you need to download something to allow it I believe. Google "check md5sum in windows" and you should find some good instructions.

Quackers
March 23rd, 2012, 10:32 PM
When this screen of script appears is it on a black background and do your caps lock and num lk lights flash?

sophie2cu2
April 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hi Quackers,
Black background, and caps come on and stay on. But no flashing.
Does it ring any bells for you?
Thanks,
Sophie

2F4U
April 5th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hi QIII,

I tried to check the md5sum but didn't get very far. The instructions seem to assume that Ubuntu is already installed. They don't seem to work in Windows. Also, as a complete beginner, I'm finding the instructions a bit hard to get through.

Sorry for the delay in replying - lots of other work.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
S

Check md5sum in Windows:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

sophie2cu2
April 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Hi all,
Md5sum is too complicated for me.
Anyway, I think it may be a hardware problem: I tried the CD I made on another PC and it ran fine. So apparently there are no probs with the CD.
Has anybody any suggestion on how to install Ubuntu by some other means other than a CD?
Many thanks,
S

IHeequ5i
April 12th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I made a bootable usb drive to do my installs with. I also (accidentally) made a bootable memory card.

With CDs, Ubuntu is very sensitive to burn speed. You might have better luck if you burn it again at your lowest possible speed.

sophie2cu2
April 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hi everybody,
I give up. Nothing works. Whatever I try, CD or USB, or even reinstalling Wubi and trying to do it from there, I can't get Ubuntu to install.
But anyway, thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Are there any magicians out there?
S

ex_isp
April 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Sophie, you might also try a slightly different version like Mint or Zorin. There are some supported hardware differences.

Best of luck!