View Full Version : [lubuntu] How to use dynamic DNS

February 2nd, 2012, 05:20 AM
So im starting a FTP file server to share stuff with my freinds are for me to access files on the go but im not sure how to get this dynamic DNS going

I registered with ZoneEdit and i bought a domain jdperryserver.net from zoneedit.

I tried using ddclient but i cant get it working? i dont know if im pluging in the wrong stuff or what, do i even have all that i need? how do i get my domain to point to my computer?

I can access my server through my local network thats all working i just can t get on it from anywhere else

Ive been reading alot of stuff but still dont quite understand.

I have a belkin router connected to my server through a line, can i configuer my router to do it?

If i matters i have internet through are local cable company "buckeye cable" southeast MI, it come through my modem, through one wireless router then i have a second router upstairs (the belkin) that is connected to my sever

Any help?

February 2nd, 2012, 05:21 AM
forgot to sub

February 2nd, 2012, 05:24 AM
# Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf
# /etc/ddclient.conf

##use=if, if=web
use=web, web='http://legacy.zoneedit.com/checkip.html/', web-skip='IP Address'

hes the /etc/ddclient.conf file

February 2nd, 2012, 05:26 AM
i keeo getting this error in my systm log

Feb 1 21:46:38 mythTV ddclient[1053]: FAILED: updating jdperryserver.net: 701: Zone is not set up in this account.

February 2nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
That error seems rather particular; do is your zoneedit account definitely configured correctly, and associated with the domain you're trying to use?