PDA

View Full Version : Unity Desktop

Rogerrch
January 29th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Provably been said before, but, I reckon I've given 11.10 a good run, ironed out a lot of issues, but at the end of the day it doesn't do what I want.
Unity is neither one thing or the other, it is just not good to work with.
I've just finished my back ups so tomorrow 11.10 is gone, and I'll revert to 11.04 and the classic desktop.
Am I alone ?

nothingspecial
January 29th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

llanitedave
January 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Funny thing is, I keep trying out the other environments, but then keep drifting back into Unity. It's not perfect, but as I get more used to it, it begins to seem more natural. It's getting pretty easy to get around in for me.

Although I'd still probably stick with KDE if its services didn't crash so often.

2F4U
January 29th, 2012, 06:55 PM
It is unlikely that Unity will go away any time soon. So, either learn to live with it or use something else. Installing 11.04 is, in my opinion, not the best solution. If I where you (I am not, since I don't oppose Unity and learned to get used to it), I would try some of the other available desktop environments.

PaulW2U
January 29th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I've just finished my back ups so tomorrow 11.10 is gone, and I'll revert to 11.04 and the classic desktop.

And when support for 11.04 ends in October, you'll be back where you started.

It is unlikely that Unity will go away any time soon. So, either learn to live with it or use something else. Installing 11.04 is, in my opinion, not the best solution. If I where you (I am not, since I don't oppose Unity and learned to get used to it), I would try some of the other available desktop environments.

Agreed.

philinux
January 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Provably been said before, but, I reckon I've given 11.10 a good run, ironed out a lot of issues, but at the end of the day it doesn't do what I want.
Unity is neither one thing or the other, it is just not good to work with.
Am I alone ?

No need to reinstall. Check out the links in my Sig.

ubuntu27
January 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I switched to Xubuntu, Ubuntu with Xfce. And I am a happy user!

I switched to xfce not because I hate or dislike unity, but because my laptop can not withstand the system overload.

My laptop becomes extremely slow as times goes on with Ubuntu and Unity. My 6,7 year old laptop is considered ancient it seems.

But, thankfully, with Xfce, my laptop is alive again!

If I buy a new powerful laptop, I will try Unity again. By then, it should have improved a lot.

Rogerrch
January 30th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I hear what you say and yes I've been through the getting left high dry bit, but, interestingly I switched my Netbook to Xubuntu, and have found that worse !
My prediction is I'll be a Debian user within 12 months. This one is back on 11.04 now, and it's just so much more functional.

rudihawk
January 30th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I don't like how Unity does things, so I installed gnome-shell :)

The power to change what you don't like -> why I love Ubuntu/Linux.

click4851
January 30th, 2012, 11:25 PM
don't fight it, switch ....Mint with Cinnamon. Let Unity / HUD be all it can or can't be.

craig10x
January 31st, 2012, 04:27 AM
yep...don't go backwards...either install Mint 12 and add cinnamon...or add cinnamon to your ubuntu 11.10 (assuming you haven't already dumped it) :)

February 1st, 2012, 06:14 AM
I am no fan of unity or gnome 3. I much prefer the looks of ubuntu 10.04 lts to any other distro. In 2013 when support for ubuntu 10.04 is dropped i will switch to linux mint or some other distro not using unity

3rdalbum
February 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
I am no fan of unity or gnome 3. I much prefer the looks of ubuntu 10.04 lts to any other distro. In 2013 when support for ubuntu 10.04 is dropped i will switch to linux mint or some other distro not using unity

Why bother switching distros? You can install other desktops on Ubuntu. That's where Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu come from.

If your idea is to switch to a Gnome 2 distro in 2013... well, you might want to rethink that idea, unless you love the idea of Slackware. Nobody will be shipping Gnome 2 in 2013. Almost no distros ship it now!

Version Dependency
February 3rd, 2012, 06:14 AM

Whatever distro you switch to will not be using Gnome 2 either. Gnome 2 is dead. Time to move on. There are dozens of other desktop environments and window managers to choose from. Some (XFCE) are very Gnome2-like.