PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Prog to generate midi file from audio file

Sylos
January 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Hello all.

So Im looking for a prog/app that can take an audio file (of whatever format - mp3, wav etc) and make me a midi file of the varying notes in it. Or just generate musical notation from it that I can then play from.

Im not sure if such a thing exists - has anyone found or used such an item in the past?

Cheers

beefheartvliet
January 28th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I know it's a bit Dirty But apparently this works under WINE.

http://www.audiorecording.me/convert-mp3-files-to-midi-files-using-amazingmidi-in-linux-ubuntu-wine.html

Needless to say, you will get a reasonable representation with a solo instrument. but not say trying to rip Jimmy page doing some crazy *** solo while John Bonham is bashing hard on the Drums.

If I stumble across anything else that might be useful or native, I'll post it :-)

Sylos
January 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Cheers for the post.

I tried that one and it gets pretty confused. The piece Im trying to convert is a piano section - the result didnt go so well. I could really do with the notation and then I could set it up through something like Rosegarden to play it back.

I've tried to find the score on line but to no avail. Know anyone who can play piano that fancies working it out (its only 1min long)? I think if I try it I'd be like a room full of chimps and typewriters - one day I'll get it but it wont be in my lifetime. :D

luctor
January 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
so ..what song is it ?

satanselbow
January 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
If it is "known" work then there may be a midi file (or convertible format) existing already.

The are many tab / scoring apps that have communities of users sharing the music they have painstakingly moved in ;)

Filetypes to start with include Tuxguitar (tg) Guitar Pro (gp3 / gp4 / gp5), muscore, sibelius... there are plenty to choose from.

midiworld.com might also be a good place to start ;)

If you have to score itself to hand then fire up muscore / tuxguitar and get scoring :popcorn:

0p7 0u7
January 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM
You might give Celedony Melodyne a try, I haven't tested it under Ubuntu yet. :)

Sylos
January 29th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Cheers for the replies.

So ... er.... I suppose I have to admit my horror-nerdy little reason for wanting to do this. The piece in question is from the EVil Dead II - Im looking to write a track based around it.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sOiCMmysro

I'll give some of the other suggestions a try and see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Ansible
January 29th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I think pitch detection programs don't really do more than one note at a time. So you might be able to get a flute automatically transcribed, but not piano chords. If there is software out there that can do multi notes I'd be really surprised.

If you can't find it transcribed anywhere and you want to figure it out by ear, you might want to try a program to slow down the audio, while keeping the pitch the same. I've done that before with Audacity.