PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Files in Ubuntu??

TAspr
January 28th, 2012, 10:39 AM
How do you get rid of these files in Ubuntu?

MG&TL
January 28th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Does clicking on them and deleting them not work? What are they from?

Double.J
January 28th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Right click and "move to rubbish bin/move to trash"? Are they from a wine program? lot's of windows programs create desktop icons by default, have a look in "/home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files" and see if there's something you didn't mean to install?

Hope it helps :)

TAspr
January 28th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Yes, they are a Wine program. So the jist is getting them to the recycle bin? Does this actually move them off of the desktop?

MG&TL
January 28th, 2012, 11:04 AM
So...deleting them does not work? What's the problem?

TAspr
January 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM
No, I just want to completely remove them. The reference is still there.

MG&TL
January 28th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Are they the only things on the desktop? If so, open a terminal and run this command:

rm -f Desktop/*

Although as always, I would recommend caution with rm.

Double.J
January 28th, 2012, 11:19 AM
When you say the reference is still there.. do you mean you want to delete the programs they link to? desktop icons are just links to software... as for getting rid of the links themselves.. MG&TL's got you covered :)

Deleting programs from wine should be done with the uninstaller tool.

upen a terminal and enter

wine uninstaller and select what you would like to remove... if you some reason this doesn't work, the brute force option is to go the wine program files directory and remove the program like any other stubborn directory with

sudo rm -rf directoryname (be SURE to get the right one :| and NEVER use a wildcard such as * with rm -rf - just too much scope for error ;) )

Hope it helps :)

TAspr
January 28th, 2012, 11:28 AM
MG&TL's got you covered :smile:

Deleting programs from wine should be done with the uninstaller tool.

I don't mind to sound so stupid, but where is this file?

Double.J
January 28th, 2012, 11:36 AM
The wine uninstaller program? I don't know where it's stored on the disk, but you can start it either by typing "wine" into the dash search-box and clicking on "uninstall wine software" or by opening up a terminal as above and pasting in "wine uninstaller".

Is this what you meant? :)

grahammechanical
January 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I am assuming that you are using 11.10 so open the Dash and type wine. You will see an icon called Uninstall Wine Software. It will produce a window called Add/Remove programs. You should see a list of programs that you installed through wine.

Regards.

TAspr
January 28th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Got it! Thank you so much for the Wine instruction.