PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] drive mappings

DGINSD
January 28th, 2012, 08:40 AM
This will probably seem like a really stupid question but its causing me a lot of problems and I cant seem to find a good answer. How are CD/DVD drives named in Ubuntu (SD0 SDA1) and is there a quick command I can give in the terminal to spit out all what I have.

I need to tell wine where my drives are so some burning programs can work and the instructions I found here help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine didn't work. Not to mention the Linux based programs that I cant set up right cause I just don't know what and where everything is.

Any help is really appreciated.

roger_1960
January 28th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hi

does

df
help?

man df
gives all the options

mcduck
January 28th, 2012, 09:51 AM
This will probably seem like a really stupid question but its causing me a lot of problems and I cant seem to find a good answer. How are CD/DVD drives named in Ubuntu (SD0 SDA1) and is there a quick command I can give in the terminal to spit out all what I have.

I need to tell wine where my drives are so some burning programs can work and the instructions I found here help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine didn't work. Not to mention the Linux based programs that I cant set up right cause I just don't know what and where everything is.

Any help is really appreciated.

Like the guide says, the mount points for the drives should be /media/cdrom (or /media/cdrom0) for the first drive, /media/cdrom1 for second drive, and so on.

Note that you should use the mount point, not the device name.

...and also you'll surely get much better results, with much less problems, if you just use a native Linux application instead. Have you tried Brasero, which is already installed by default and should just work without needing any configuration?

DGINSD
January 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Like the guide says, the mount points for the drives should be /media/cdrom (or /media/cdrom0) for the first drive, /media/cdrom1 for second drive, and so on.

Note that you should use the mount point, not the device name.

...and also you'll surely get much better results, with much less problems, if you just use a native Linux application instead. Have you tried Brasero, which is already installed by default and should just work without needing any configuration?

I tried to do it exactly like the drive, but the program (DVDShrink) still doesn't see either of my drives (built in CD-R/DVD, sr0, or USB connected CD-R/DVDRW DL, SR1)

roger_1960 I tried the DF command heres what output I got

david@david-Latitude-X300:~$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 15378832 6177840 8419784 43% /
udev 306932 4 306928 1% /dev
tmpfs 125580 940 124640 1% /run
none 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
none 313940 648 313292 1% /run/shm
/dev/sda6 28835836 6828372 20542684 25% /home
/dev/sr0 7894744 7894744 0 100% /media/LTZERO

Kinda confused about it though the "'/dev/sr0" is my built in CD-R/DVD, but so is "/media/LTZERO" that's the disc in it. There's no mention of my CD/DVD drive plugged into the USB ports.

mcduck
January 28th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Then how about using a Linux-native application instead of DVDShrink?

Some possible apps made for the same purpose would be Thoggen, Acidrip, xdvdshrink, k9copy and OGMrip. And I'm sure there are plenty of more options available.

DGINSD
March 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I actually forgot about this thread I had made for issues I had on my old machine. Reviewing this thread actually helped me solve my other issue I started another thread on, along with some other gathered information online.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1946371